On December 25, People around the world celebrate Christmas as a religious and cultural festival. Both Christian and non-Christian people celebrate this festival in most of the countries. This is a festival they celebrate as Jesus Christ’s birthday. It has both cultural and religious background. Christmas is all about food, presents and spending time with family. Christmas, a feast central to the Christian liturgical year is an annual celebration. This is a public holiday in many places around the world. Christmas is a huge festival in many countries.
What is Christmas Day?
Christmas is an annual festival people commemorate the birth of Jesus with. They celebrate it on December 25th. It is a religious and cultural festival. Billions of people including non-Christians celebrate this day around the world. In this festival, people bring presents for their friends and family, and celebrate the occasion together.
In many countries, people celebrate Christmas as a national holiday and a huge festival. Christmas brings joy and peace with it. Many people decorate their house on this day. They use a significant type of tree to decorate their house. They use ornaments and fairy lights on it. Many of them visit their family and friends. Exchanging gifts is a must on Christmas.
In many parts of the country, people start celebrating the festival of Christmas days, even weeks before the date. But primarily, they consider 25 December as the day of Christmas.
Some Key Facts about Christmas Day:
Christmas is one of the most popular and beautiful festival in the world. Christmas comes with culture, joy and excitement. Here are some amazing key facts about Christmas and the festival that come with it:
- Christmas celebrates the nativity of Jesus Christ or the birth of Jesus Christ. The birth month and day of Jesus is unknown. But the Roman Catholic Church decided to the put on the day on December 25th.
- Decorating houses with Christmas trees is a ritual, ancient Egyptians and Romans used to do. The evergreen trees like pine, garlands and wreaths were their first choice. The modern Christmas tree decoration first started in Germany in the 16th century. Now people put glitter and ornaments on Christmas tree. But back in the 16th century, they used to decorate the trees with fruits and nuts.
- In Greek language, the word Christ begins with the letter X. So, the term, Xmas simply spells and means Christmas.
- Santa Claus is an important character that plays a significant role in Xmas. Children believe that good kids will get the gifts they prayed for to Santa. The Jolly old man will wear a red dress and come at night to bring the gifts. But did you know that the red dress is a modern concept? Yes, Santa did not use to wear the color, red. The official colors were purple, green or blue. But Coca-Cola made a commercial with Santa wearing red.
History of Christmas Day:
The first known celebration of Christmas took place in Rome. Roman Catholic Church celebrated the day on December 25th, AD 336. The Roman also marked the day as Winter Solstice. Many people around the world use the words ‘Happy Solstice’ to greet people on Christmas. They also use ‘Merry Christmas’. Merry means happy.
Christmas is a celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ. They say Virgin Mary and Joseph flew from Nazareth to Bethlehem. Mary gave birth to baby Christ in a stable and Jesus laid in a manger. The Angels proclaimed him as the savior of humanity. Also, the shepherds adored him. Three kings followed the Star and brought gifts of gold and frankincense with them. They call them the Magi.
The Roman Catholic Church celebrated the birth of Jesus Christ. They put the day on December 25th. Since then, people around the world celebrate this day as Christmas or birth of the Christ.
When is Christmas Day Celebrated?
Every year people celebrate Christmas primarily on December 25th. But the celebration, decoration and exchanges of gifts start days, even weeks before it.
And it goes on until new years’ eve. In these days, people celebrate their lives with joy and excitement. Many people visit their family and have dinner with them. Christmas dinner is a speciality of this festival.
Best Places to Celebrate Christmas Day:
If you want to enjoy Christmas by travelling to a different city, here are some of the best places to celebrate Christmas:
- Bethlehem, West Bank: The festival is the most striking in the birthplace of Jesus. It will remind of the purity and holiness of the festival. This is the best place to enjoy your family holiday. It will fill you with a heavenly dynamism.
- Lapland, Finland: The Arctic circle of Finland is full of Santa. You can see Santa everywhere in Lapland. The city creates an amazing fantasy land of Christmas. The snow, the Santa and the fictional world of Christmas will amuse you in so many ways.
- New York City, USA: How can I not talk about NYC on Christmas! On this festival, the city turns into a travel destination. The glitzy light, decoration, food and alcohol turn this city hectic on Christmas. If you are looking for a joyous but crazy holiday on Christmas, New York is for you.
- The Vatican City, Italy: The Vatican attracts a good number of pilgrims and travellers on Christmas. Vatican City is always beautiful, but on Christmas it fascinates even the dullest person in the world. This is also a family holiday destination.
- Amsterdam, Netherlands: In the Dutch capital, they tell the tale of Santa Claus strongly. They decorate the city like a newlywed bride. They start decorating their houses in the early December. If you want a sparkling Christmas with fireworks and Champagne, Amsterdam is waiting for you.
Essential Tips to Help You Enjoy Christmas Day, 2020:
Christmas is a drunken occasion, to be honest. People are always full with food and alcohol. The festival is peaceful, yet hectic. Christmas brings many worries with joy. Here are some tips to make the celebration easier and more fun:
Plan Your Holiday: Try to prepare from the early December. Plan your holiday and make a to-do list. Drop the stressful rituals and choose the events carefully.
Memorable with memories: Try to have fun by reliving your childhood holidays. Make dinners and meet friends and family. Exchange gift with each other. Even go to a mall and click a selfie with Santa.
Cook for Your Family: Cook Christmas dinner for your loved ones. There are so many Christmas dinner recipes on the internet. Why not choose one?
Travelling Tips: If you are thinking about enjoying your holidays in a different destination, here are some tips.
In Christmas, the roads are always full of people. Because of the pandemic, there will be fewer people. But if you want to go out, you still need to stay safe and sound. So, wear a mask and keep a bottle of water with you.
Safety Concerns During Christmas Day:
Here are some safety tips to help you enjoy more of Christmas-
If you are decorating your house with a Christmas tree, water your plant daily. Put water in a spray bottle and spray through the leaves. Be careful if you got electric lights on your tree. Spray water after removing them.
Candles are a must on Christmas. But the fire can be dangerous. Be careful with them.
If you are going to travel on your holiday, take the standard safety measures. Keep everything in a safe and locked place. Always carry water with you.
Call the local emergency number if you notice any inconvenience during the festival. Try to move with care.
Winter solstice is colder in western world. Clear the snow from your roof and clean your chimney before building a fire.
Christmas is a festival of joy and happiness. It is holly and culturally rich. Enjoy your holiday. Do not forget to wear a mask if you are going out. Try sending gifts online and get used to the new normal. Less human contact does not mean less happiness. You can always enjoy the festival if your heart is full of joy.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Christmas Day:
Q. Why do we celebrate Christmas?
Ans: Christmas is celebrated to remember the birth of Jesus Christ, who Christians believe is the Son of God. The name ‘Christmas’ comes from the Mass of Christ (or Jesus). A Mass service (which is sometimes called Communion or Eucharist) is where Christians remember that Jesus died for us and then came back to life.
Q. What countries celebrate Christmas on December 25?
Ans: Lebanon. Christmas is an official holiday in Lebanon. Lebanese celebrate Christmas on December 25, except for Armenian Lebanese who celebrate Christmas on January 6 which is also an official holiday in Lebanon.
Q. How was December 25th chosen for Christmas?
Ans: The church in Rome began formally celebrating Christmas on December 25 in 336, during the reign of the emperor Constantine. As Constantine had made Christianity the effective religion of the empire, some have speculated that choosing this date had the political motive of weakening the established pagan celebrations.
Q. What is Christmas in simple words?
Ans: Christmas is celebrated on 25 December. It is a holiday to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ, who, according to the Christian religion, is the son of God. The name is a joining of “Christ” and “mass” which means the holy mass (supper, celebration, or festival) of Christ.