Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD) is one of the most famous airports in the world. Also, it is the largest one in the USA. The airport allows you to fly over 260 destinations. There are 49 airlines operational in this airport.
It uses four terminals. And you have the weekly and daily departure and arrival facilities. In this airport.
Chicago Ohare International (ORD) Guide:
The airport has a common name. That is O’Hare Airport. It is in Chicago. To be more particular, the airport is the most leading one in the USA for its size and length. Most impressive factor is that you can travel across the world using the airport.
Chicago Department of Aviation takes care of the airport. And it covers over 7500 acres of land. You can travel in different parts of the world including North America, Europe, and Asia.
Besides, this is one of the busiest airports of the world too.
History of Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD):
The journey of the airport began during the Second World War. The name is from the first recipient of the Medal of Honor of a Navy official Edward “Butch” O’Hare.
The popularity of the airport started rising since the 1960s, particularly in 1963. Now, it can serve over 80 million of domestic and global passengers.
Also, the airport is famous as it has several larger terminals. The design and airfields are special.
In the early days, the airport had four runways, each with 1700 meters in lengths. But the commercial development of the airport began from 1945. And in 1949, the renaming happened.
Since the 1955, the airport has been carrying scheduled passenger services. But the growth was a bit slower. It also got fame for the jet airliner.
The structure is also popular for its 191 gates. The connecting underground passage is another wonder while it has curved glass forms. The original Terminal 1 was demolished in 1984.
Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD) Operational Airlines List:
Chicago O’Hare airport is served by the following airlines: Aer Lingus • AeroMexico • Air Canada • Air Choice One • Air France • Air India • Air New Zealand • Alaska Airlines • Alitalia • ANA • American Airlines • Asiana Airlines • Austrian Airlines • Avianca Airlines • British Airways • Cape Air • Cathay Pacific • Cayman Airways • China Eastern • Copa • Delta • EVA Air • Emirates • Ethiopian Airlines • Etihad Airways • Finnair • Frontier Airlines • Hainan Airlines • Iberia Airlines • Icelandair • Interjet Airlines • Japan Airlines • Jetblue • KLM • Korean Air • LOT • Lufthansa • Norwegian • Qatar Airways • Royal Jordanian • Swiss • SAS • Spirit Airlines • Sun Country • TAP Air Portugal • Turkish Airlines • United Airlines • Volaris.
If you are an economy class traveller at Chicago O’Hare Airport, you can access the following airport lounges as long as you are willing to purchase a day pass, annual membership or pay at the door.
» Air France VIP Lounge Location: Terminal 5, Airside, Gate M7.
» American Airlines Admirals Club Location: Multiple Locations – (1) Concourse G, (1) Concourse H/K and (1) Concourse L.
» Delta Sky Club Location: Terminal 2, Airside, Concourse E, Gate E6.
» Swissport Lounge Location: Terminal 5, airside, between Gates M7 and M8.
» United Club Location: Multiple Locations – (2) Concourse B, (1) Concourse C and (1) Concourse F.
» USO Lounge Location: multiple locations
More Services, Facilities & Things to do on a Layover at the Airport:
Art in the Airport – Beautiful sculptures, murals, paintings, and exhibits are on display throughout the airport.
Duty Free & Shopping – Duty-free shopping is available airside in Terminals 1, 2, and 3. In addition, a wide variety of retail shops and newsstands are available throughout the airport complex. The Hudson News locations in Terminal 2, Concourse F, Gate F4 and Terminal 5, Gate M10 are open 24 hours.
- Baby Care Facilities – These spaces are perfect for nursing mothers who wish to feed their baby in comfort and privacy. The mother rooms are equipped with comfortable seating, a sink and a little washing area. Locations: T1, airside, Gate B10 • T2, airside, walkway between Gates E5 and F9 • T3 Rotunda, airside, near Yoga Room and Urban Garden • T5, airside, near Gate M14. Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Family Lounge – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their energy before their flight, take them to the family lounge which is equipped with toys, video games, climbing structures and even occasional live performances. For parents, there are comfortable seats with mobile charging outlets! Locations: Terminal 2, Main Hall.
- Family Restrooms – Changing stations for small children are available in most of the airport’s restrooms. Family restrooms are available in these locations:
» Terminal 1 – B4 • B10 • C20 • Baggage Claim.
» Terminal 2 – E5 • Across from the Kids On The Fly exhibit • Baggage Claim.
» Terminal 3 – G11 • H3 • H14 • K1 • L5 • Rotunda • Baggage Claim.
» Terminal 5 – Near security checkpoint • Food Court.
- Health Club – Non-Guests can pay a small fee for a day pass to use the Hilton Athletic Club. The facilities have a steam room, sauna, lap pool, Jacuzzi and full service locker rooms. Location: Between Terminal 2 and the parking garage Rate: the non-guest rate is $15 plus tax.
- Yoga Room – Relax or stretch in between flights at the airport’s yoga room. The room comes equipped with a wall-mounted TV that displays yoga poses to follow. There is no change room, but there is a nearby bathroom on the Mezzanine where you can change clothes. Location: Terminal 3 Rotunda, airside, Mezzanine Level, near the Urban Garden. Hours: 6:00AM – 10:00PM.
Food & Drinks – Most food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours:
- Terminal 1 – Brioche Doree (Airside, Concourse C, Gate C21) • Fresh Market on the Go (Airside, Concourse C, Gate C23) • Farmer’s Fridge (Airside, Concourse B, Gate B20) • Fresh Market on the Go (Concourse C, Gate C23) • McDonald’s (Airside, Concourse B, Gate B11) • Starbucks (Airside, Concourse B, Gate B9 and Landside, Baggage Claim).
- Terminal 2 – Dunkin’ Donuts (Airside, Gate F9) • Farmer’s Fridge (Airside, Concourse F, Gate F9) • McDonald’s (Airside, Concourse F, Gate F7) • Starbucks (Airside, Concourse E, Gate E2 and Landside, Baggage Claim).
- Terminal 3 – Dunkin’ Donuts (Airside, Gate H5) • Farmer’s Fridge (Airiside, Concourse K, Gate K6 and Landside Baggage Claim) • McDonald’s (Airside, Concourse L, Gate L4 and Airside, Concourse H, Gate H5 • Starbucks (Airside, Concourse K, Gate K4 and Landside, Baggage Claim).
- Terminal 5 – Farmer’s Fridge (Landside, Baggage Claim) • Kofe by Intelligentsia (Airside, Concourse M, Gate M8).
Information Desk – Have any questions? There are information desks to provide assistance. Locations: Terminal 1 (Gate B7 • C18) • Terminal 2 (Gate F1D) • Terminal 3 (Gate K2) • Terminal 5 (Upper/Ticketing Level • Lower/Arrivals Level).
Luggage of Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD):
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Not available.
- Luggage Wrapping – Information not available.
- Luggage Trolleys – Need a hand with your bags? Luggage Trolleys are available to use for a $5 fee.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside and Airside.
- Banking Services – Full-service banking, as well as faxing and photocopies, is available at Seaway National Bank in two locations: T2, landside, Main Hall (Hours: 6:00AM – 9:00PM) • T5, landside, Lower Level (Hours: 7:00AM – 9:00PM).
- Currency Exchange – More than 200 currencies are available for exchange (paper currency only) at Seaway National Bank in these six locations:
- Terminal 1 – Airside, near Gate B9 (Hours: 6:00AM – 9:00PM) • Airside, near Gate C18 (Hours: 6:00AM – 9:00PM).
- Terminal 2 – Landside, Main Hall (Hours: 6:00AM – 5:00PM).
- Terminal 3 – Airside, Gate K11 (Hours: 6:00AM – 9:00PM).
- Terminal 5 – Landside, Upper Level (Hours: 7:00AM – 9:00PM) • Landside, Lower Level (Hours: 7:00AM – 9:00PM).
Postal Services – Drop off your last minute postcards to friends and family from one of the airport’s mailboxes. Locations: various locations throughout Terminal 1 • Terminal 2 • Terminal 3 • Terminal 5.
Rest & Relaxation:
- Cots – In the event of flight cancellations/major snow storms, the Chicago Department of Aviation (CDA) will provide cots, pillows and blankets and toiletry kit. You must check with your airline to see if the program is available. In Sep 2013, Mary sent us a message to let us know “there are 30 or so, mostly unoccupied tonight. Just past Gate K1.” The wake-up call is at 4:00AM, so they can put away the cots before the airport gets busy again.
Prayer – If you need a quiet place for prayer or meditation, visit the interfaith O’Hare International Airport Chapel. Prayer rugs, religious books, rosaries, and Juma ablution (wudu) facilities are available for use. Location: T2, landside, Mezzanine Level, near the USO Lounge and above the Delta ticket counters.
Showers – Freshen up at the Hilton Athletic Club, the American Airlines Admirals Club (Terminal 3, Concourse H) or United Club (Terminal 1, Concourse C).
Spa & Salon Services:
- Spa / Beauty– Manicures, pedicures, facials, massages and more are available at Terminal Getaway Spa. Three locations: T1, airside, Gate B12 (Hours: 6:30AM – 9:30PM) • T3, airside, Gate H1 (Hours: 6:30AM – 9:30PM) • T3, airside, Gate H6 (Hours: 7:00AM – 9:00PM). You can also pamper yourself with express beauty services and massage at XpresSpa. Location: T5, airside, Gate M10. Hours: 9:00AM – 9:00PM.
- Barber – If you want a quick trim or your beard needs a touch up, the The Barber Shop is conveniently located for passengers. Location: Stop by the Hilton Chicago O’Hare for a $20 Haircut or $20 shave. Location: Between Terminal 2 and the parking garage. Hours: 8:00AM – 7:00PM (Mon – Fri) • 7:00AM – 7:00PM (Sat) • 12:00PM – 5:00PM (Sun).
Traveler’s Aid – This is a non-profit organization that assists stranded and distressed passengers. Volunteers assist passengers with general airport and destination queries to assisting with situations such as transportation assistance, lost or stolen money, wiring money, emergency housing, etc. The staff in both the info booths and the main office can assist with crisis intervention information as well as social services for travelers and visitors. Info Desk Hours: 9:00AM – 8:00PM (Mon – Fri) 10:00AM – 8:00PM (Sat – Sun). Locations:
- Main Office – Location: Terminal 2, Airside next to Children’s Museum. Hours: 8:30AM – 9PM (Mon – Fri) 10:00AM – 9:00PM (Sat – Sun).
- Terminal 1 – Airside, near Gate B7 • Airside, near Gate C18
- Terminal 2 – Airside, near Gate F4
- Terminal 3 – Airside, near Gate K2
- Terminal 5 – – Landside, Upper/Ticketing Level • Landside, Lower/Arrivals Level.
Urban Garden – An exhibit of over 26 different plants showcasing the sustainability of aeroponic gardening.
LOST AND FOUND:
– On the airplane, gates or counters, please, contact with your airline.
– In the public areas, please, contact with the Chicago Police Department calling: (773) 686 2385.
– At the security screening locations, please, contact with TSA at: (773) 377 1210.
– At ATS (Airport Transit System), please, call: (773) 601 1817
– Parkings – Phone: (773) 686 7532
– Terminal 5 custom area – Phone: (773) 686-3157
Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD), USA Brief:
Address: 10000 W O’Hare Ave, Chicago, IL 60666, United States
Elevation: 204 m
Opened: February 1944
Phone: +1 800-832-6352
O’Hare International Airport (ORD) always witnesses a crowded schedule. Besides, there are certain weather conditions which cause delay in operation. The passengers can take both in-bound and outbound flights at any time of the day. But you will need a taxi to cross the access road towards the Terminal 5. And popular airlines operate their flights on daily basis.