The United States Open Tennis Championships is a hard court tennis tournament. The tournament is the modern version of one of the oldest tennis championships in the world, the U.S. National Championship, for which men’s singles and men’s doubles were first played in 1881
What is the The US Open?
For those who are unaware of the “United States Open Tennis Championships,” here we will try to introduce the event to you, very briefly.
U.S. Open, formally the United States Open Tennis Championships, is an international tennis tournament, where all the best tennis players from all over the world compete for the trophy. It is played on hard courts, and makes up the annual Grand Slam of tennis.
The US Open is the fourth and final tournament of the year. The other three are the “Australian Open, the French Open, and Wimbledon.”
This becomes one of the major sports events and festivals of the year, accompanied by food, musical performances and kids’ activities from around the globe.
Some Key facts about the US Open, New York:
- The “US.Open” is held every year in New York over a two-week period.
- The tournament is scheduled to begin on August 31, 2020.
- It will end on September 13, 2020.
- The U.S. Open is the final of four “Grand Slam” tournaments.
- The other three, in chronological order, are the Australian Open, the French Open, and Wimbledon.
- The tournament moved from the “West Side Tennis Club” to “USTA National Tennis Center” in 1978.
- The tournament is played on hard courts.
- The matches are played in five categories. The Mixed doubles, men’s double and single, and women’s double and single.
- This year, the US Open tennis tournament will take place as scheduled, but there will be no spectators this year to watch it!
Short Overview of the Tournament:
The US Open New York is one of the biggest international sports events of the year.It is the fourth and final tournament of the year. The “Grand Slam” of four other tournaments, the Australian Open, the French Open, and Wimbledon
It is held in the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in New York each year.. This event gathers huge crowds from all around the world. All the best tennis players from all around the world gather here. Each year, this festival is accompanied by music, street performances, kids, parties and everything else you could imagine. This is also one of the major revenue generators for New York.However, this year, the tournament will take place without any fans!
History of the US Open Tournament:
The U.S. Open came into existence from the U.S. National Championship, one of the oldest tennis tournaments in the world. The U.S National Championship was established in 1881, which only had men’s double and single tournaments. This tournament only included players who were members of the U.S. National Lawn Tennis Association. In 1887, the tournament included women’s singles, and in 1889 women’s doubles. Mixed doubles was introduced in 1892.
Finally, all five tournaments were hosted in West Side Tennis Club, Forest Hills, Queens, N.Y. The tournament became known as the US Open and moved to Arthur Ashe Stadium in 1978. This year the tournament is scheduled again as usual, on August 31, 2020. But this year, due to the VOID-19 pandemic lockdown, there will be no spectators allowed!
When is the U.S Open Tournament Schedule?
The tournament is scheduled to begin on August 31, 2020. And it will end on September 13, 2020. This tournament continues for two weeks. To get detailed schedules and match fixtures, you can visit The US Open, New York official site.
Where does the U.S Open Tournament take place?
This is one of the biggest tennis events of the world. The venue is USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, in Flushing Meadows, New York. It will be preceded by the Western & Southern Open.
Some Essential Tips to Help You Enjoy the US Open Tournament:
- This year, there will be no fans allowed for the tournament.
- Try to watch the match from the safety of your own home this year.
- However, usually this tournament draws a large number of people.
- Make sure you have reservations and accommodations ready for you, when the stadiums open up for the public.
- The tournament tickets are usually cheaper during the first week.
- Ground passes or cheaper tickets are sold at the stadium during the first 8 days.
- Try to have quality time at the stadium when they are open.
- If your budget allows, try getting the “court side” seats. It will be an amazing experience.
Safety Concerns during the Tournament:
- Make sure you’re covered by health insurance before you leave home.
- Summer can be hot and humid in New York, so invest in sun block, moisturizer, sun glasses, and hydration.
- If you’re not from New York, try to make yourself familiar with the city culture.
- Avoid places where you might face potential threats from street muggers.
- Take advice from your hotel’s local tourist guides.
- Always keep emergency numbers handy.
US Open 2020 Schedule of Play:
Grand Slam Tennis Tours sells tickets to tennis events around the world, including all sessions at the US Open. Orders of play (what time a specific player will play and on what court) are generally released the evening before the session.
|DATE – SESSION||SESSION #||GATES OPEN||PLAY STARTS (SHOW COURTS)||PLAY STARTS (OUTER COURTS)||FEATURED MATCHES (SINGLES)|
|Mon 31 Aug – Day||1||10:00 AM||12:00 PM||11:00 AM||First round|
|Mon 31 Aug – Night||2||6:00 PM||7:00 PM||Continued from day||First round|
|Tue 1 Sep – Day||3||10:00 AM||12:00 PM||11:00 AM||First round|
|Tue 1 Sep – Night||4||6:00 PM||7:00 PM||Continued from day||First round|
|Wed 2 Sep – Day||5||10:00 AM||12:00 PM||11:00 AM||Second round|
|Wed 2 Sep – Night||6||6:00 PM||7:00 PM||Continued from day||Second round|
|Thu 3 Sep – Day||7||10:00 AM||12:00 PM||11:00 AM||Second round|
|Thu 3 Sep – Night||8||6:00 PM||7:00 PM||Continued from day||Second round|
|Fri 4 Sep – Day||9||10:00 AM||12:00 PM||11:00 AM||Third round|
|Fri 4 Sep – Night||10||6:00 PM||7:00 PM||Continued from day||Third round|
|Sat 5 Sep – Day||11||10:00 AM||12:00 PM||11:00 AM||Third round|
|Sat 5 Sep – Night||12||6:00 PM||7:00 PM||Continued from day||Third round|
|Sun 6 Sep – Day||13||10:00 AM||12:00 PM||11:00 AM||Round of 16|
|Sun 6 Sep – Night||14||6:00 PM||7:00 PM||Continued from day||Round of 16|
|Mon 7 Sep – Day||15||10:00 AM||12:00 PM||11:00 AM||Round of 16|
|Mon 7 Sep – Night||16||6:00 PM||7:00 PM||Continued from day||Round of 16|
|Tue 8 Sep – Day||17||10:00 AM||12:00 PM||11:00 AM||Quarterfinals|
|Tue 8 Sep – Night||18||6:00 PM||7:00 PM||Continued from day||Quarterfinals|
|Wed 9 Sep – Day||19||10:00 AM||12:00 PM||11:00 AM||Quarterfinals|
|Wed 9 Sep – Night||20||6:00 PM||7:00 PM||Continued from day||Quarterfinals|
|Thu 10 Sep – Night||21||6:00 PM||7:00 PM||12:00 PM||Women’s semifinals|
|Fri 11 Sep – Day||22||10:00 AM||12:00 PM||12:00 PM||Men’s semifinals|
|Sat 12 Sep – Day||23||10:00 AM||12:00 PM||12:00 PM||Women’s final|
|Sun 13 Sep – Day||24||11:00 AM||1:00 PM||12:00 PM||Men’s final|
Summery of US Open Championship, USA:
Prize money: US$57 million (2019)
Surface: Grass – outdoors (1881–1974); Clay – outdoors (1975–1977); Hard – outdoors (since 1978)
Ground: USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center
Editions: 139 (2019)
Venues: United States Tennis Association, USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, The West Side Tennis Club.
The US Open in New York is one of the biggest tennis events in the world, which takes place in August each year. This tournament brings together some of the best men and women of the tennis world, and it also becomes a center for celebration. People from all over the world gather in New York, to celebrate this event, which lasts for two weeks. This year, however, the event is scheduled to take place without any spectators.