Toronto Pearson International Airport is an important international airport in Toronto. It is 27 km away from Downtown Toronto in the city of Mississauga, Ontario.
Toronto Pearson International Airport is the largest and busiest airport in Canada. It also occupies the position of 30th- busiest airport in the world.
Toronto Pearson International Airport, Canada Overview:
Pearson International Airport contains two operating terminals- Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. It has five runways with a lot of modern facilities.
There are 105 gates which split almost equally between the terminals. There is Inter-Terminal Link Train to make travelling between terminals painless.
This airport operates an extensive network of non-stop domestic flights. It has several airlines to all the cities of Canada. It offers several international airline services throughout the United States, Mexico, Central America, Asia, Europe, South America, the Middle East and Oceania.
This airport is one of the eight Canadian airports which has the service of United States border preclearance. This airport serves as a key hub for Air Canada. It serves flights to more than 150 destinations across the world.
This airport has 75 airlines. Pearson Airport operates over 1,250 daily departure. It has a capacity to handle over 50% of total international air cargo of Canada.
History and Background of Toronto International Airport:
The construction of Toronto International Airport took place in 1939. Then people knew it as ‘Malton Airport’. In 1952, the municipal government of Canada sold this airport to the federal Department of Transport. They named it ‘Toronto International Airport’.
In 1984, they renamed the airport in the honor of Noble Peace Prize laureate Lester B. Pearson. He was also the 14th prime Minister of Canada. Now the Greater Toronto Airports Authority (GTAA) is maintaining this airport.
It served as a training base of the Royal Canadian Air Force during the 2nd world war.
Operational Airlines List of Toronto Pearson International Airport, Canada:
Toronto Pearson airport is served by the following airlines:
- Terminal 1: Air Canada • Air India • Avianca • Brussels Airlines • Copa • Egyptair • Emirates • Ethiopian Airlines • EVA Air • LOT • Lufthansa • TAP Portugal • Turkish Airlines • United Airlines.
- Terminal 2: Aer Lingus • Aeromexico • Air France • Air Italy • Air Transat • Alitalia • American Airlines • Azores Airlines • British Airways • Caribbean Airlines • Cathay Pacific • China Eastern • China Southern • Condor • Delta • El Al Israel Airlines • Etihad Airways • Flair Airlines • Hainan Airlines • Icelandair • Interjet • KLM • Korean Air • PIA • Phillipine Airlines • Sunwing • Ukraine International • WestJet.
Toronto Pearson International Airport, Canada Lounges:
Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Transborder Departures.
Air France KLM Lounge Location: Terminal 3, Airside, Concourse C, next to Gate 33.
American Airlines Admirals Club Location: Terminal 3, Airside, near the duty free stores.
Plaza Premium Lounge (Terminal 1, Domestic) Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Domestic Departures.
Plaza Premium Lounge (Terminal 1, International) Location: Terminal 1, Airside, International Departures, Level 3, Gate E77.
Plaza Premium Lounge (Terminal 1, USA Departures) Location: Terminal 1, Airside, US Transborder Departures, Level 2.
Plaza Premium Lounge (Terminal 3, Domestic) Location: Terminal 3, Airside, Domestic Departures, Level 2, between Gates B22 and B24.
Plaza Premium Lounge (Terminal 3, International) Location: Terminal 3, Airside, International Departures, Gate C32.
Plaza Premium Lounge (Terminal 3, USA Departures) Location: Terminal 3, Airside, USA Departures, near Gate A10.
More Services, Facilities & Things to do on a Layover at the Toronto Pearson International Airport, Canada:
- WiFi – Free WiFi is available at Toronto Airport. Connect to the “Toronto Pearson Wi-Fi” network.
- Additionally, if you prefer, the airport has many seating areas equipped with iPads which passengers can use to surf the internet while waiting to board.
- Children Play Areas – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their energy before their flight, take them to the children’s play area. Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Gate D24.
- Family Washrooms – Designated Family Washrooms can be found in: Terminal 1, Landside on Level 1 and Level 3 • Terminal 3, Landside in the Arrivals section and the Departures section.
- Nursing – Nursing stations in the following locations: Terminal 1, Airside at Gates D35, F67 and E80/F80 • Terminal 3, Airside at Gate B39.
- Fitness – Goodlife Fitness has a 10,000 sq.ft gym that contains state-of-the-art training equipment, stretching area, and free weights. The facility offers change rooms with showers, soap, conditioner, lotion, hair dryers. Location: Terminal 1 on Level 1, Arrivals, Area F. Rate: $25.00. They also have a Reebok clothing and shoe bundle to rent for $20. Hours: 5:00AM – 10:00PM.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours:
- Terminal 1 (International Departures): Booster Juice (Level 2, landside, parking and link train) ▪ Tim Hortons (Level 2, airside, Gate E81).
- Terminal 1 (Canada Departures): Swiss Chalet (Level 3, landside, take out is 24 hours) ▪ Tim Hortons (Level 1, Airside, near D42)
- Terminal 3 (Canada Departures): Subway (Arrivals Level, landside, near Domestic Arrivals) ▪ Tim Hortons (Departures Level, airside, Gate B26/27.
- Terminal 3 (International Departures): Subway (Airside, near Gate B22) ▪ Tim Hortons (Landside, Arrivals) ▪ Wendy’s (Landside, Arrivals)
- Information Desk – If you have any questions, visit one of the information desks for assistance. Locations: available on the Arrivals Level. Hours: unknown.
- Baggage Carts – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage carts are available free of charge throughout the airport.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Whether you wish to store your coat before traveling to a warm destination, or simply want to enjoy your layover unburdened by luggage, you can store your things at Samsonite. Storage prices per day, per piece range from $7.50 – $12.50 for luggage and personal items, and $3 per day ($15 per week) for coats. Locations: Terminal 1, landside, Level 3, Check-in area (Hours: 5:00AM – 1:00AM) ▪ Terminal 3, landside, Arrivals, under the escalator between exit B &C (Hours: 5:00AM – 12:00AM).
- Luggage Wrapping – Protect your bags from theft and damage by having your bags wrapped in plastic (scales are also available). Locations: T1, International, landside, Departures Level, 2 locations at Aisles 7 and 9 ▪ T3, International, landside, Check-In Area. Hours: 7:00AM – 11:00PM (all locations).
- Medical Services – Not feeling well? The Apple Tree Medical Centre accepts walk-ins. Location: Terminal 1 Canada, Landside, Level 2 Parking and Link Train. Hours: Reception is staffed from 9:00AM – 9:00PM (Mon – Fri) and 9:00AM – 6:00PM (Sat), outside these hours you may use the online booking system. Doctors are only on site from 9:00AM – 5:00PM (Mon – Thurs only).
- Pharmacy – DrugSmart Pharmacy is located next to the Apple Tree Medical Centre. Location: Terminal 1 Canada, Landside, Level 2 Parking and Link Train. Hours: 6:00AM – 10:00PM.
- Mobile Charging – Multiple charging points are available at the boarding gates. Some seats have power points nearby.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside and Airside.
- Currency Exchange – ICE has kiosks available in both Terminals. While none operate 24 hours, you will find many open at 4:00AM. Locations:
- Terminal 1: Landside, Level 1, Arrivals, 2 locations ▪ Landside, Arrivals, Level 3, 2 locations ▪ Airside, International, Level 2 Gates, 2 locations ▪
- Terminal 3: Landside, Arrivals, 2 locations ▪ Landside, Departures Level ▪ Airside, USA, Departures Level ▪ Airside, International, Departures Level, 3 locations ▪ Airside, USA, Level 2 Gates, 2 locations ▪ Airside, USA, Level 3, Departures ▪ Airside, Canada, Level 2 Gates.
- Pet Relief Areas – Travelling with a 4 legged companion? Pet relief areas are available in the following locations: Terminal 1, Landside, Departures, Exit Door 15 • Terminal 1, Landside, Ground Floor, Exit Door S • Terminal 1, Airside, near Gate D30 • Terminal 3, Landside, Arrivals Level, Exit Door A • Terminal 3, Airside, near Gate B26.
- Therapy Dogs – If you need to relax before your flight, look out for the airport’s therapy dogs, identifiable by a bandana that says “St. John Ambulance Therapy Dogs”!
- Prayer Rooms – The Aviation Interfaith Ministry centres offer a quiet place to pray, meditate and reflect. Chaplains, Roman Catholic mass and Interdenominational Christian services are available. Locations: Terminal 1, Landside, Level 1, Arrivals • Terminal 3, Landside, Level 1, Arrivals.
Rest & Relaxation
- Rest Zones –
- CIBC Welcome Centre – In Terminal 1 on the Arrivals Level, there are 6 or 7 large padded seats to sink into. Unfortunately, the seats are located across from the International Arrivals door, so it is not particularly quiet. You would be best to have noise cancelling headphones if you nap here during the daytime.
- Lounge 15 – Formerly known as Lounge Q. In August 2015, when we heard rumblings in a recent traveller review that this seating area no longer exists and the airport rudely ignored our requests, we headed out to YYZ to find the answer ourselves. Well, the lounge is still there, but the seating has been drastically reduced. There were still a lot of empty seats though and a few airport sleepers were spotted enjoying the armrest free seating. There is also a play area for children. Location: Terminal 1, Departures Level, Landside, Aisle 15.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Duty-free shopping is available airside in the gated areas of Terminals 1 and 3. There is a good variety of shops available throughout the airport to pass the time. 7-11 is open 24 hours in these locations: Terminal 1, Level 1, Arrivals ▪ Terminal 1, landside, (International), B6 of the Value Park Garage, Level 4.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Manicure – Break a nail going through security and need to have your nails done? Head to 10 Minute Manicure. Locations: Terminal 1, Airside, Canada, Level 2 Gates, near Gate D37 (Hours: 7:00AM – 9:00PM) ▪ Terminal 1, Airside, USA, Level 2 Gates, near Gate F57 (Hours: 6:30AM – 7:00PM).
- Showers – Showers can found in three areas: Airside in the three Plaza Premium Lounges ( see Airport Lounges above ) • Goodlife ( Location: Terminal 1, Landside, Level 1, Arrivals, Area F, day pass is $17.00 which includes use of shower facilities) • Sheraton Gateway ( Location: Terminal 3, Landside • Wellbeing Spa (Location: Terminal 3. Airside, near Gate A10).
- Spa – Relax before your flight at one of the following airport spa locations:
- Be Relax Spa – offers chair massages, table massages, nail services, waxing and facials. Locations: Terminal 3, Airside, Canada/International, near Gate B5 (Hours: 8:00AM – 9:00PM) ▪ Terminal 3, Airside, Canada/International, near Gate B27 (Hours: 12:00PM – 9:00PM) • Terminal 3, Airside, Canada/International, near Gate C36 (Hours: 5:00AM – 11:00PM)
- Wellbeing Spa – offers massages, facials, nail services and showers. Locations: Terminal 3, Airside, USA Departures, near Gate A10. Hours: 5:30AM – 8:30PM.
Things to do & see
- Art in the Airport – Terminal 1 currently offers large sculptures (airside), a changing art display (landside) and a dinosaur display (landside). Terminal 3 has a film exhibition created by the Toronto International Film Festival.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From the Toronto Pearson International Airport, Canada:
The airport is well connected to the bus system. Whether you are looking for a bus to your downtown hotel, need a connection to the Go Train or need to reach a subway station, there is probably a bus for you. For fares, routes and schedules, visit the Toronto Pearson Airport website.
The following car rental agencies operate on-site on Level 1 of the parking garages located next to Terminals 1 and 3: Avis • Budget • Dollar/Thrifty • Enterprise • Hertz and National/Alamo. Several off-site rental agencies provide courtesy transportation from Viscount Station. Contact your rental agency of choice for details.
Several area hotels offer free airport shuttle service as a convenience for their guests. Contact your hotel of choice for shuttle service availability and information. Shuttles pick-up from Terminal 1 (Ground Level, column “S5”) and Terminal 3 (Arrivals Level, column “C22”). Many hotels require that you call ahead for pick-up.
There is a free and fully wheelchair accessible 24-hour Link Train connects Terminal 1 and 3. Trains depart every 4-8 minutes depending on the time of day. There are 3 stops: Terminal 1 • Terminal 3/Sheraton Gateway Hotel • Viscount Station, Value Park Garage, Value Park Lot and ALT Hotel.
Long Distance Bus and Shuttle Service
Several companies provide service between Toronto Pearson Airport and locations throughout Ontario and across the border in the United States. Information on these services is available at Information Counters located in Terminal 1 (Ground Level) and Terminal 3 (Arrivals Level).
Taxi and Limousine
Licensed taxis and limousines can be found at Terminal 1 (Doors C & D), Terminal 3 Domestic Arrivals (Door B) and Terminal 3 International Arrivals (Door F). Fares are based on a zone map, dividing the area between GTA (Greater Toronto Area) and Out-of-Town tariffs, and charged according to time and distance. For locations outside of the Out-of-Town tariffs area, fares are charged per kilometer. Cash and credit cards are accepted. For safety reasons, do not accept rides from people who approach you in the terminal or ask you to follow them to the parking garage.
The Union Pearson Express, or UP Express, is an amenity-filled express train that runs between the airport and downtown in just 25 minutes. Trains depart every 15 minutes from 5:30AM – 1:00AM, stopping at two other stations along the ride between Pearson Airport Station and Union Station in downtown Toronto.
Information summery of Toronto Pearson International Airport, Canada:
Address: 6301 Silver Dart Dr, Mississauga, ON L5P 1B2, Canada
Elevation: 173 m
Phone: +1 416-247-7678
Toronto Pearson International Airport connects Toronto with the entire world. Being a primary airport, it serves a densely populated area in Southern Ontario.
It operates about 1,000 flights per day. In the year 2019, this airport handled 50 million passengers and ranked as the second-busiest International air passenger gateway in the Americas. This airport has all those facilities that can make one’s travelling comfortable.