Marking the moment the country was liberated from the Pakistani occupation forces after a nine-month-long bloodstained war for liberation.
On December 16, 1971, Bangladesh was born as an independent country under the leadership of the Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, after the sacrifice of the lives of three million people and the honor of nearly half a million women.
Different political, cultural institutions and educational organizations arranged a series of programs to celebrate the nation’s glorious victory.
Victory day’s programs:
- The day started with the 31-gun salute.
- President and Prime Minister paid tributes to the martyrs of the Liberation War by placing floral wreaths at the National Mausoleum at Savar at dawn.
- The president first placed the wreath at the altar of the National Memorial with the rising of the sun. He was followed by the PM.
- They then stood in solemn silence for some time as a mark of profound respect to the martyrs.
- Rolling government celebrate this day very potentially. Other political and socio-cultural organizations such as BNP, Gono Forum, Jatiya Oikyafront, Jukto Front, Workers Party of Bangladesh along with other organizational fronts and professional bodies were present.
- On the day, a public holiday, the national flag was hoisted atop government, semi-government and private offices as well as offices of autonomous bodies across the country.
- The president and prime minister issued separate messages for country’s people on the occasion, national dailies across the country brought out special supplements.
- State-owned and private televisions channels and radios broadcasted month-long special programs highlighting the Liberation War. Different organizations held discussions where Liberation War-related documentaries were played.
- Receptions were held for freedom fighters and the family members of martyrs at the city, district and Upazila levels.
- Special prayers were offered in mosques and other places of worship, seeking eternal peace for the souls of the martyrs, and peace, progress and prosperity for the country.
- To mark the day, Baitul Mukarram National Mosque organized a Quran Khani, Milad and dua mahfil at 10:00 am under the initiative of Islamic Foundation.
- Improved diets were served in jails, hospitals, orphanages and vagrant homes across the country.
- Destitute children had gotten the opportunity to visit children’s parks and other recreational centers across the country free of cost.
However, Victory day of Bangladesh is one of the important history day of Bangladesh. Celebrating victory, Bangladesh missions abroad observed the day with various programs.