Sanchi Stupa is the most famous Buddhist complex, which is famous for the hilltop architecture of Stupa. This located in the Madhya Pradesh of India. Represent the 3rd BCE when the construction work started. UNESCO recognized it as the part of the archaeological site, an essential monument among the oldest structures. A mysterious history is present about this Sanchi Stupa.
To know the history, don’t miss to visit the most famous archaeological site of Sanchi Stupa. We recommend here the way of arriving, living place, best visiting time, history, safety concern and other descriptions.
Why Should You Visit Sanchi Stupa, India?
Sanchi Stupa is the world’s best archaeological site. Has some other reasons, to visit this Sanchi Stupa-
- See the oldest stone one structure in India.
- See the magnificent Buddhist monument.
- Visit a historical, archaeological site.
- Know the incredible relics of Buddhist in the structures.
- Know the ancient Buddhist thoughts and lifestyle.
- To see different shapes, architecture.
Sanchi Stupa is the most significant pilgrimage for the Buddhists. You can say it is a home of many Buddhist monuments, temples, palaces, and monasteries. UNESCO also declared that it is the famous worlds’ heritage. You can feel the touch of the 1st and 2nd BC centuries. The magnificent carvings are seriously very amazing. The most beautiful things are that Lord Buddha’s footprint, thrones, wheels etc. represented there very carefully.
Sanchi Stupa designated along with reality from life, give female respect through representing as the fertility. That has some own dignity to show as a different one. Other visiting places besides Sanchi Stupa also help to fulfill your satisfaction level.
History of Sanchi Stupa, India:
Sanchi Stupa is a glorious Buddhist pilgrimage place, which discovered in 1818. General Taylor was the pioneer in this case. In the next year, in 1819, Sir John Marshall built a museum, which has an archaeological view. Ashoka, who accredited of the Stupa formation originally in 3rd BC. He had known as the 3rd emperor of the Mauryan Dynasty. Not only this, but he also is known as a cruel and ruthless emperor. But why Ashoka built the Buddhist monument? That history has a mysterious background. Let’s know it.
In 265 BC, he wanted to expand his empire in Kalinga, that’s why he invaded the Kalinga. Ashoka won and made the most extended bloodiest history in India. After this war, he repented and changed himself totally to Buddhism. Next, he tried to spread his religion. He built around 84000 stupas, with some fantastic monument. Some Buddha’s cremated mortal also obtained in Rajagriha Stupa. Sanchi Stupa is being the first one Stupa, which is still standing to present archaeological evidence. Devi, who was a Buddhist, and first wife of Ashoka, lived in Vidisha. According to some historians, the Bimbisara ruler established a monastery there for monks. Some others say, Devi built a monastery to support the Stupa building.
Various Buddhist monuments present there, those included in the Sanchi Stupa. Some construction also destroyed, by Pushyamitra Shunga King, in 185 BC. Then, Agnimitra, his son, rebuilt this Stupa. Finally, in the 5th AD, Gupta Dynasty has included the surroundings sculptures and Gupta temple. After a long time, Sanchi Stupa took in re-construction, between the 1912 and 1919 periods, under Sir John Marshall’s supervision.
Exploring the Sanchi Stupa, India:
Sanchi Stupa is the first tourist place in India. Mostly explore as the Buddhist monastery place. Sanchi Stupa located in the Raisen district in Madhya Pradesh. That situated at the North West site of Bhopal. Explore the Stupa complex take with an hour, at least. The most attractive Sanchi Stupa is dome-shaped, having with 36.5 meters wide and 16.4 meters high monument. Buddhist worship walked according to clockwise, by following the path of the sun. Around 600 peoples’ names included in the construction carved.
Have four gates at each site direction. To present an adorable life, associations of Buddha have intricate carvings. In the southern gateway pillar built by Ashoka, which is the top finest among the 19 pillars remaining. In stupa-3, have Buddha’s’ relics of disciples. Raisen Fort is a rock-cut shape cave. In Sanchi Stupa, there are also situated many attractive monuments and architectures.
When to Visit Sanchi Stupa, India?
The glorious Sanchi stupa is open from 6.00 am to 6.00 pm. That means from sunrise to sunset. The museums of archaeology open at 9.00 am and close at 9.00 pm. October to March is the best time to visit Sanchi Stupa. Monsoon also prefers to visit, but except for the summer season.
How to Get There to Visit Sanchi Stupa, India?
Find the short distance way to reach Sanchi Stupa securely and safely. From Bhopal to Stupa is the most wanted way. The visitors can hire a cab from Bhopal to the stupa complex. Also have other nearest places are the Raja Bhoj Airport, the Sanchi railway station, and the Bhopal bus stand. You can also choose one of them.
Things to See in the Sanchi Stupa Complex:
In addition to the central structure of the Great Stupa or Stupa No. 1, the Sanchi Stupa Complex has several pillars, sculptures, and inscriptions that help you understand the history of early Buddhism in India. These include the following:
- Stupa No. 2 and Stupa No. 3, built during the reign of the Sungas
- Ashoka Pillar, an excellently polished sandstone pillar
- Temple 40, one of the first free-standing temples in India
- Sunga Pillar or Pillar 25, having a design similar to the Heliodorus pillar
- Four ceremonial gateways or toranas
- The Great Bowl
- Gupta Temple, an architectural beauty
- Monastery 51
Lesser Known Facts about Sanchi Stupa, India:
- The Ashoka Pillar located at Sanchi Stupa Complex is known for its four lions standing back to back. The national emblem of India is derived from the Ashoka Pillar.
- The four toranas or ornate gateways were the last structures to be added to this Buddhist complex. These four gateways represent courage, love, peace, and trust.
- Though the Stupa at Sanchi was built over the relics of Lord Buddha, it is believed that he never set foot in the village of Sanchi.
- The Great Stupa of Sanchi is featured on the rear side of the new 200 rupees note.
- There are several Brahmi inscriptions on the Great Stupa and most of these are details of donations from local donors.
Essential Tips to Visit Sanchi Stupa, India:
Follow some tips to enjoy the visiting time. This tips step may remove your extra worries. They are-
- Make a specific online booking before going there.
- Pick the short and easiest way to reach the Sanchi Stupa.
- Wear comfortable shoes to walk comfortably.
- Take some snacks to eat at the visiting time.
- Take sufficient time to see the whole Stupa complex.
- Choose the best time to avoid too hot weather.
- Book your hotel room earlier if needed.
- Visit the entire nearest place in the Sanchi Stupa.
- Go with the team to enjoy the visiting hour in Sanchi Stupa.
Safety Concern When You Visit Sanchi Stupa, India:
Some safety concerns need to follow before visiting the Sanchi Stupa. They are-
- Wear your comfortable shoes. The whole complex has not a small area. To walk smoothly and quickly must wear comfortable shoes.
- Try to end the tour before sunset. Live the place before sunset to pass any unexpected error.
Sanchi Stupa Information:
|Location||Sanchi, Raisen District|
|Status||UNESCO World Heritage Site|
|Timings||6:30 am to 6:30 pm; every day|
|Entry Fee||₹30 for Indians; ₹500 for foreigners|
|Distance from Bhopal||48 km|
|Year of Construction||3rd century BCE|
|Architectural Style||Buddhist style|
|Also Known as||Great Stupa; Stupa No. 1 (in Sanchi)|
|Dimensions||54 feet (height) and 120 feet (dome diameter)|
In the end, we say that Sanchi Stupa is a unique historic structure. It’s structure, constructions, history, monuments, and all are the different one. Each tourist filling an ancient time travel & appreciated after visiting this place. To be part of ancient history, We hope that you must visit & enjoy this great Sanchi Stupa.
Frequently Asked Questions about Sanchi Stupa:
Q: Where located the great Sanchi Stupa?
Answer: Sanchi Stupa located in the state of Madhya Pradesh in India. Most clearly say that, in Raisen district in India. Need one hour at the northwest side from the state capital, Bhopal.
Q: How much need to entry in Sanchi Stupa?
Answer: Online ticketing is the best way. Make sure to book before going there. As Indian, you need 40 INR, for SAARC and BIMSTEC candidate needs 40 INR, for foreigner need 600 INR, for children (below 15 age) no need fee to entry.
Q: Where to stay in Sanchi Stupa?
Answer: Gateway Retreat Hotel is very close to this monument, need to pay 2500 rupees to pass per night. Also, a tourist can stay the Madhya Pradesh Tourism Jungle Resort. Per room, rent is also the same. Plenty of accommodations places are ready in Bhopal. You choose according to your ability.
Q: How much time need and those days keep in opening the Sanchi Stupa?
Answer: Visiting time limitation is depending on you. You need at least one hour to the whole day, to complete every corner of the Sanchi Stupa. In a week, all days open to visit. The visiting hour starts from sunrise to sunset. Take enough time to visit the place wholly and accurately.
Q: Is there any need to book in advance to visit Sanchi Stupa?
Answer: Previous online booking is the best idea, I think. Secure your spot for you before reaching there. In case of any incident to postpone your visiting time, you can cancel your booking before 24 hours. You also get the refund money at this time.