Every year in early October, they fill the sky above the main city of New Mexico with hundreds of hot air balloons. The Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta is the hottest event in the world. And people say it’s the most talked about event in the world! Every October, the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta is held in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Fiesta is a fun event. And isn’t it the long October weekend spent in New Mexico for a beautiful mini holiday? Your family can go to the Fiesta early in the morning or in the evening and explore the surrounding area all the time. If you want to witness, this magical festival then don’t miss the chance to visit this festival.
What is the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta, New Mexico?
The world’s first balloon event, The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta, is a world-famous attraction for people of all ages. For over three decades, visitors from all over the world come to Albuquerque every October to celebrate the balloon festival. This is the biggest ballooning event in the world.
They painted the New Mexico sky when hundreds of balloons came out of Albuquerque’s Balloon Fiesta Park. From its humble beginnings in 1972 with 13 balloons in the shopping mall, the Balloon Fiesta has grown into a 9-day event at Balloon Fiesta Park. Hundreds of thousands of smiling, bright, amazed faces of the beauty of the hot air balloons fill New Mexico’s vast blue sky.
Some Key Facts About the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta (2022), New Mexico:
- This event is the most photographed event in the world.
- They assembled the first Balloon Fiesta in 1972 to mark the 50th anniversary of a local radio station.
- The first year they boasted 13 balloons. But now for an entire week, the sky is full of nearly 600 colorful balloons. They present this every morning from the 365 hectare Balloon Fiesta Park north of Albuquerque.
- There are many events that take place in each Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta. Some events take place over a period of days and some can only occur once.
- Besides the standard and teardrop shape balloons, there are many special balloons. These balloons can be made as cartoon characters, beer mugs, carousels, Star Wars characters, animals, hearts, people, etc.
- A music concert held at Balloon Fiesta Park featuring rock and / or country music.
The World’s Most Influential Event takes place during the first half of October each year (October 1-9, 2022). And it is something that all families should do to visit at least once. This lively and spectacular fest is the International Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Hundreds of balloonists and thousands of tourists from all over the world go to the Enchantment World. They came here to witness for nine days the spectacular hot air balloon events.
What is the History of the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta, New Mexico?
The Balloon Fiesta began in 1972 as a commemoration of the 50th birthday of the radio station 770 KOB. Radio station manager Dick McKee asked for Sid Cutter, who owns the Cutter Flying Service and became the first person to own a hot-air balloon in New Mexico.
The first fiesta ended as a meeting of 13 balloons on April 8, 1972, sponsored by KOB. They held the first event at the Coradoado Center Shopping Mall with 20,000 spectators and balloonists. They were from Arizona, California, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada and Texas took part.
McKee, Kutter, and Kratz are the three men who started the balloon race. The following year Albuquerque hosted the first World Hot-Air Balloon in February, and the fiesta became a national event. In 1975 Albuquerque was looking forward to hosting the World Championship of Balloons again, but they scheduled the event for October. The Balloon Fiesta grew each year for decades, and today it becomes the largest balloon assembly in the world.
When is the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta (2022), New Mexico?
The International Balloon Fiesta takes place every year in early October and usually lasts for nine consecutive days. In 2022, they schedule the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta to be held from October 1, 2022 to October 9, 2022. During the festival, various hot air balloon events will take place during the morning and evening at Balloon Fiesta Park north of Albuquerque.
2022 is a lucky year as it will be the 51th anniversary of the festival!
Best Place to Celebrate the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta (2022):
The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta takes place annually in Balloon Fiesta Park north of the city. Balloon Fiesta Park is at 4401 Alameda Blvd NE, Albuquerque, NM 87113.
How to get to the Location of the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta (2022), New Mexico?
Albuquerque offers a variety of access to Balloon Fiesta Park for Balloon Fiesta events. This includes Park & Ride facilities, public travel options, special tours and travel services.
Balloon Fiesta Park is located north of Albuquerque. The park is located west of I-25, about 12 miles north of Albuquerque International Sunport airport, 7 miles north of the city of Albuquerque, and 5 miles east of Rio Rancho.
Follow the parking signs as you approach the park. But if you need a GPS address, you can use: 4401 Alameda Blvd NE, Albuquerque, NM 87113. Latitude: 35 ° 11.8 N Longitude: 106 ° 35.8W.
The fiesta also offers park-and-walk. Visitors can park their cars in one of the many suburbs around the city and take school buses to the park. This is often faster than driving because the buses provide access routes.
What are the Main Event of the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta (2022), New Mexico?
- Dawn Patrol: The Dawn Patrol began at the Ballon Fiesta in 1978. Dawn Patrol pilots leave before sunrise and fly until it is light enough to see the upcoming sites.
- Mass Ascensions: One enormous fiesta event, where all taking part balloons start with two waves, filling the sky with hundreds of balloons at once.
- Artistic view: Many local artists use balloons extensively as their favorite painting material.
- Special Shape Rodeo: Many non-traditional, different balloons are delivered simultaneously.
- Balloon Glows: many balloons are lit at night by their propane burners. They stand disconnected and do not move during these events.
- American Balloon Race Challenge: This annual race starts from Balloon Fiesta Park, where pilots who specialize in gas balloons compete to see who can travel the best distance without getting off.
- Music Fiesta: A music concert held at Balloon Fiesta Park, which usually showcases rock and / or country music artists.
- Other Balloon Fiesta Events & Activities: There are usually other attractions or annual events that take place in the afternoon or evening at Balloon Fiesta Park. Such as dance, chain carpentry competitions, music events, soccer, car shows, carnival games, children’s rides.
Essential tips to help you enjoy the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta (2022), New Mexico:
- To avoid traffic, you can go to the venue by shuttle.
- You should definitely plan to go to the party for more than one day. This is because some events may be canceled or delayed because of weather.
- The weather in New Mexico in early October is usually outdoors, but dress in layers.
- The Fiesta website has a guide for visitors that can be downloaded.
- The Balloon Fiesta shuttle system is a very efficient, organized service.
- Reserve your hotels or accommodation as soon as possible.
- Bring something to stay with.
- Don’t forget to bring your camera and other kits.
- Keep a water bottle in your bag. Don’t forget to eat a burrito.
- Take full advantage of this amazing experience. Don’t miss these 3 important events: Dawn Patrol, Morning Glow and Mass Ascension.
- It is possible to take a ride in hot air balloons. You can have it.
Safety Concerns During the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta (2022), New Mexico:
- It can be freezing in the morning and early in the evening. So prepare yourself for it.
- Climate cancellation occurs annually and the number of cancellations and delays varies from year to year. So it is not possible to predict in advance. Keep a raincoat and heavy clothing with you.
- Given that a hot air balloon ride depends on the weather. It is usually not a good idea to book a hot air balloon on your last day in Albuquerque. As you will not have the chance to reschedule in terrible weather.
- The place might be crowded, so try to avoid traffic.
- Keep your belongings and things safe with you.
To celebrate its 51th anniversary this year, the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta is a respected and well-known attraction for people of all ages. Visitors from all over the world come to Albuquerque to celebrate the balloons festival. In fact, hundreds of balloons will take a trip from Balloon Fiesta Park this year. You will not want to miss out on this city-wide celebration!
The best place for information about the event is to check out the official website of Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta, which offers a complete guide, allowing you to buy tickets ahead of time, provide details on how to get there, sell Balloon Merchandise, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s) about Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta (2022), New Mexico:
Q. When should I arrive at the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta, New Mexico?
Answer: With more than 80,000 people at some of our events, getting up soon is a superb idea. For weekend events, plan to arrive at the park from 4: 00-4: 30 p.m. During the evening events, try to be in the park at 4:00 pm. Gates open at 4:30 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.
Q. Where should I park my car?
Answer: They have standard parking spaces on the north and south edges of the park, for $20 per session you are in the park. Each parking lot has colored codes and gates are listed, so please remember the color and number of the gateway you entered the field.
Q. Can we bring large bag packs and package at the park?
Answer: Yes, but they will be searched when they enter the Park. Please note that there will be metal bars on the gates.
Q. Can I bring foods into the park?
Answer: Yes, but you can’t bring a glass or alcohol and search your bags or cool ones.
Q. Who are the Zebras of the fiesta?
Answer: The Zebras are the directors of Balloon Fiesta’s launch. They help launch balloons every morning. The reason they are called Zebras is because they wear black and white shirts.