Chiang Mai Flower Festival has been in action for over 40 years! Good family day in Chiang Mai. For morning, afternoon, and evening events, you can also change the circumstances when you decide to take it out.
This great Thai flower show, with floating colors made of flowers, beautiful Thai girls and mountains in a traditional dress. And also some shows on a beauty pageant for the Miss Chiang Mai and loads of plants and flowers outside. The festival showcases the art of ancient and modern flowers as well as showcases the culture of the ancient Lanna Empire.
Flower festival Chiang Mai continues every year taking place on the first full weekend in February.
When is the Chiang Mai Flower Festival, Thailand?
The Chiang Mai Flower Festival in Chiang Mai, Thailand, known as the “rose in the north” hosts the three-day festival in February, at the end of the cool season. On the first weekend in February, the festival begins. At the Chiang Mai Flower Festival, you will have the opportunity to see parades comprising a number of floats, beautifully decorated with flowers and plants. Local artisans spend a lot of time designing floats. Thai people will use floats throughout the city to visit.
The parade usually consists of a core of 25 or more beautiful, floating flower arrangements. Thai folk musicians, dancers in traditional Lanna costumes, and marching bands were among the class acts.
Some Key Facts About the Chiang Mai Flower Festival, Thailand:
- Not only in the area at the big festival but also in other places. Places like the houses of the Thai people, you can see their colorful flowers mounting.
- The main event of the festival is a flower show that takes place in Chiang Mai. The flower parade takes place on Saturday and starts from the Nawarat bridge to Nong Buak Haad Public Park. After that, the old town called Tha Pae Road continues. After that it will go to Suan Buak Haad Public Park.
- There are large floats decorated with beautiful flowers and there is a competition with them, announcing the best floating. You get to witness the biggest floral event in the world. And somehow you can explore the culture of the city of Chiang Mai.
- On Sunday, one can enjoy an evening music performance at the Tapae Gate.
- There are many restaurants in the park and the afternoon after the Miss Chiangmai commemoration is over. The party goes well into the evening until the new Queen of Flower Festival is chosen.
- The history of the Chiang Mai flower festival draws crowds from all over the world.
Early February is the time when Chiang Mai blooms with all kinds of flowers. They adorn all the highways with mechanical roses (found only in Chiang Mai), dendrobium orchids, daoruang and chrysanthemums.
There are live performances from Friday to Sunday night with special appearances by Thai celebrities and talent shows. But the highlight of the Festival is the regular show on Saturday afternoon.
Chiang Mai Flower Festival, Thailand 2021: Event Schedule:
Friday February 5th at 7:00: The opening ceremony of the 2021 Chiang Mai Flower Festival and exhibition of flower arrangements, ornamental plants and flowers in a small garden in Nong Buak Haad Park. The park will open once again on Saturday, 8pm and on Sunday at 6th from 9am – midnight.
Friday February 5th at 7:00 PM: The opening ceremony of the 45th Flower Show at Nong Buak Haad Park.
Friday February 5th from 8:00 PM – 11:00 PM: Miss Flower Blooming Beauty Contest in Nong Buak Haad Park.
Saturday February 6th at 8:00 AM: A bouquet over 25 flowers starting from the Nawarat bridge. The parade will run along Tapae Road, Kotchasarn Road, Changlor Road, Arak Road and end at Nong Buak Haad Park.
Saturday February 6th from 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM: Thai Lanna performance and cultural exhibition at Nong Buak Haad Park.
Saturday February 6th at 7pm: The awards ceremony for The Flower Festival Parade floats in Nong Buak Haad Park.
Sunday February 7th at 6:00 PM: Playing music at Nong Buak Haad Park.
Sunday 7th from 9:00 PM – 8:00 PM: Thai Lanna performance and cultural exhibition at Nong Buak Haad Park.
When is the Chiang Mai Flower Festival, Thailand?
The Chiang Mai Flower Festival is held annually on the first weekend of February. The festival is a celebration of beautiful blooming flowers, at the end of winter.
During the floral awards ceremony from Thailand and around the world, it is on display at Suan Buak Haad Park in the city center. A series of distances take place through the town, showcasing a beautiful array of flowers from yellow and white chrysanthemums to Damascus Rose, a diverse flower found only in Chiang Mai.
Best Place to Celebrate the Festival:
The event is near Buak Hat Park, on the southwest corner of the old Chiang Mai site. It’s where it’s full of floating and showcasing when the street show is over. On Friday evening when the event began, the road outside the park will be closed for three days and turned into a ‘Walking Street Market’. This corner of the Old City moat is known locally as ‘Jeng Ku Hueang’ and during the festival is home to food vendors, entertainment sections, and flower shops and a variety of plants.
How to get to the Location of the Festival:
The festival usually starts on Saturday morning, with a line starting from Charoen Muang Road, running all the way from Nawarat Bridge to the train station. Entering the city center, down Tapae Road toward the Tapae Gate. It then follows the moat around until it ends at Suan Buak Haad Park. The exhibition features flower-covered scenes, hiking distances, locals wearing traditional Lanna costumes, and mountain tribes with their traditional costumes.
The park is the focal point of the festival, where the brightly decorated floats of the parade, and award winning flowers from around the world, are all on display for the public to admire. In the afternoon, there’s also a Miss Chiang Mai Flower Festival competition, where the winner is crowned the Queen of Chiang Mai Flower Festival.
Essential Tips to Help you Enjoy the Chiang Mai Flower Festival, Thailand:
- Arrive at least 2 hours before the parade has an uninterrupted view of the show.
- Ask local people or your guides about specific times of the shows.
- Give more attention to children and adults as there is an enormous crowd.
- The festival is worth at least a day trip. Try to stay longer.
- Wear comfortable clothing and footwear, perhaps shoes.
- Consider coming to a party on Sunday morning, as then the venue will be less crowded.
- The Chiang Mai Flower Festival is a paradise for photographers. Take as many pictures as you like beautiful flower arrangements.
- If food stays on your agenda wherever you go, then the best time to visit Thailand is during this festival. You will find many food vendors working for chewing Thai, fragrant dishes everywhere.
Safety concerns During the Chiang Mai Flower Festival, Thailand:
- Bring your hats and use the sunscreen as it will be hot out there.
- Many tourists come to enjoy the festival, so the space may be quite crowded. Therefore, you should treat your property with care.
- As I said before, this place can be crowded during the festivities, so you should book your tickets with the hotel ahead of time.
- Beware of deception.
- Western style options are perfect for parade and park. But if you plan to visit any city temples or festival grounds during the festival, it is best to dress modestly. You should dress diffidently with high shoulders, arms and legs.
The highlight of the festival is a street show, a grand stage shows and the Queen of Chiang Mai Festival. This is a great time to visit Chiangmai, as the air is cool and the evening is fresh and clear. It is also important that Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai are home to the largest and most beautiful flower gardens, established and maintained for a long time by the appointment of the king.
If you are coming to Chiang Mai for just a festival, there are plenty of accommodation options available.
Frequently Asked Question (FAQ’s) about Chiang Mai Flower festival, 2021:
Q. Where to stay in Chiang Mai during the festival?
Answer: There are many wonderful hotels in Chiang Mai. You can book your preferred accommodation before your visit in Chiang Mai.
Q. How much does it cost to attend the Chiang Mai Flower festival?
Answer: Chiang Mai Flower festival is not a very costly festival. Admission to the flower festival is free, and there is no cost in viewing the parade. Because of this, the only things you will spend money on are buying or eating foods.
Q. How costly the food is in Chiang Mai?
Answer: Prices of some of the local food is given down here:
- Pad Thai: 80 baht
- Two types of noodles: 40 baht
- Smoothie: 20 baht
- Fried squid balls: 20 baht
- Other snacks: 75 baht