Imagine yourself in a view, as far as you see is green like a dream, a green field ending at the skyline and a festival growing around you. Sounds fascinating, right? Well, if you are looking for a holiday like this dream, Glastonbury festival should be in your bucket list. Glastonbury festival is an independent Contemporary performing arts festival organized by a company named Glastonbury festival Ltd. Many artists and filmmakers has released their albums and films at the Glastonbury festival. Every year at Pilton, Somerset in England this festival takes place.
Here is everything you should know before planning to join The Glastonbury festival.
What is Glastonbury Festival?
Glastonbury is a festival is contemporary performing arts festival. Every year this festival hosts contemporary music, dance, comedy, theatre, cabaret and other arts. Along with new artists and performers many leading singers, dancers and performers have headlined in this festival. It takes place in a tiny village called Pilton at Somerset county of England. This is the largest Greenfield festival of arts in this world. It is one of the unique festival, too.
People regard Glastonbury as a major event in the British Culture. Ethos of hippie, counterculture and free festival movements has inspired this festival.
Glastonbury Festival, UK – A short Overview:
This is one of the unique and traditionally rooted festivals in the world. The ethos of hippie and counterculture has inspired this festival. Every year they celebrate this festival in Pilton. This festival is a major event in the British culture. This five-day event is an independent festival of music and contemporary performing arts. Many leading pop and rock artists have headlined in this festival along with other artists from smaller platforms. This festival is not just about music and the arts. If you want to join the festival, better prepare yourself for a crazy and hectic camping experience. It is the perfect festival for an adventure lovers. The majority of the stuff for this festival are volunteers. They willingly help this festival raise millions of pounds for the charity organizations.
In short, this festival is an independent camping festival of music and contemporary performing arts. And almost all of its money goes into charity.
Some Key Facts about Glastonbury Festival:
• It is a five-day festival.
• It is the largest greenfield festival of music and contemporary arts in the world.
• The main stage of the Glastonbury festival is the Pyramid stage.
• Every year during this festival, they open 900 shops at the venue.
• The public camping space of this festival is one million square meters.
• This festival’s record crowd is 3000000 people.
• They use 3000000 gallons of water in this festival every year.
• The Glastonbury press newspaper is free during the festival.
• Anyone can join this festival, but with a ticket.
• This festival receives extensive newspaper and media coverage.
What is the History of the Glastonbury Festival?
The Glastonbury festival was first celebrated in 1970. But the history of the festival is much older. Between 1914 and 1926 the classical composer Rutland Boughton established a summer school in the Glastonbury town. The summer school used to organize a ‘Glastonbury Festival’ with a series of concerts, lectures and recitals. And that festival attracted a huge number of bohemian audience. On September 19th, with 1500 attendees the Glastonbury festival officially took place for the first time. Since then, this festival has developed and grew bigger. In 1971, they introduced the famous Pyramid Stage to the people in the festival. This pyramid is a one-tenth replica of the Great Pyramid of Giza and positioned over a blind spring.
The Glastonbury festival turned into an annual event in the 1980s. From a temporary structure, they developed the Pyramid stage into a permanent stage. In the ‘80s this festival started charitable foundations and started donating an enormous amount of the earning from the concerts and show of the festival.
In the 2000s they introduced the festival with a new Pyramid stage with incredible features. In 2020 the festival reached its 50th anniversary, but they canceled the festival because of the pandemic outbreak and they intend to get back in 2021.
When is the Glastonbury Festival?
The annual event of Glastonbury festival takes place at the end of the June. They will hold the next event be from Friday, June 24 and Sunday, June 26
Where does Glastonbury Festival take place?
The Glastonbury festival has taken place in several venues during its active years. It has taken place in Worthy Farm and in the town of Glastonbury too. Now it takes place in a tiny village called Pilton of the Somerset county of England.
Other Things to do During the Festival:
- Go to the cinema.
- There is a free university of Glastonbury. Learn something new from there.
- Don’t get stuck at the big stages. See something random. Visit the smaller stages.
- Check out the ‘Unfairground’ at the festival.
- Go to the ‘Shangri-la’ after midnight. It will blow your mind.
- Check out the view of the venue from the Ribbon Tower.
- Check out the festival’s very own free newspaper. You might see yourself too.
- Take photos at the sand culture of the park. The landscape view looks outstanding.
- Check out the Worker’s Statue in William Green.
Essential Tips to Help You Enjoy the Glastonbury Festival:
• Book your tickets. The tickets get sold out long before the festival takes place.
• If you want to enjoy Glastonbury festival to its best, go to the festival with people who are more fun. That means don’t join with someone uncomfortable in a hectic place. Make sure someone is looking for your back while you are doing the same for you.
• Choose a good campsite for yourself. It has an impressive effect on your ‘Glasto’ experience.
• If you are taking a personal vehicle, park close to your campsite.
• Pack as much as you need. Don’t pack too much for the festival.
• If you are bringing alcohol with you, take it in a plastic bottle. They do not allow glass in the festival.
• Take your ticket everywhere you go during the festival. Explore a little. Don’t be always in the shows.
• Bring ear plugs and eye masks with you. The festival will be loud and bright. You might not sleep without them.
• Take a tent with you. Take reusable bottles to collect water from the free tapes at the venue.
Safety Concerns during the Glastonbury Festival:
• Just like any other place, travelling to unfamiliar surroundings may have some general safety concerns.
• Look after yourself well in the festival. A vast crowd will gather in the festival.
• Carry your valuables with you.
• Glastonbury is a crazy and hectic event. Bring an enormous back pack and always carry a first aid box and other essentials with you there.
• Make yourself familiar with people, their lifestyle and places so you don’t become susceptible to potential dangers.
• In April, it will be a sunny day of summer in the Festival venue. Take safety measures so you stay safe in the heat. Wear a hat, use sunscreen and drink water.
Well, this looks like an amazing festival. Glastonbury festival is a hectic festival. Its contemporary arts and music performances will surprise you. And the camping will make you feel like a bohemian. This spectacular even takes place in the beautiful village of Pilton, Somerset, England. This is a tradition practice of hippie and counterculture. People consider this as a major event in the British culture. If you are planning to go, make sure you pack properly and light.
This is really a spectacular everyone can enjoy.
Most Asked Questions about the Glastonbury Festival:
Q. Where is Glastonbury?
Answer: Pilton, Somerset, England.
Q. Why is Glastonbury so special?
Answer: Thousands of people from all corners of the world visit Glastonbury every year. The festival draw them to this mystical place for its rich history of spiritual pilgrimage, its magical healing energies and sacred sites, its adorable worship of sacred feminine and for it being the Heart Chakra of the planet Earth.
Q. Is Glastonbury the biggest festival in the world?
Answer: Glastonbury Festival is the largest greenfield music and performing arts festival in the world and a template for all the festivals that have come after it.
Q. Do artists get paid for Glastonbury?
Answer: Glastonbury pays bands ‘less than 10%’ of what they’d earn elsewhere.
Q. Are there showers at Glastonbury?
Answer: because of the enormous demands on their water supply, Glastonbury cannot offer large numbers of public showers. For those desperate for a shower, there are a few showers available at the bottom of the Kidzfield and in the Greenpeace field, but expect to queue for a while to use them.
Q. What are the toilets like at Glastonbury?
Answer: Glastonbury Festival has a variety of toilet types and all are cleaned at least once a day. Please don’t pee anywhere except in the loos. Urine can kill fish and wildlife in the streams and pollute their beautiful farm.