The Sky Lantern Festival in Pingxi is an annual festival held to celebrate the annual Lantern Festival. The Sky Lantern Festival is one of the most magical festivals in the world. So, if you want to experience this magical moment with your own eyes, then this festival of skylights is one of the bucket-list for you.
What is the Pingxi Sky Lantern Festival, Taiwan?
It is the night of the first full moon of the year when Taiwanese people, young and old, come out to celebrate the world-famous Lantern festival. People consider this festival to be the most popular event in Taiwan alongside the Fireworks Festival in southern Taiwan. The Lantern Festival in Taiwan is now a major tourist attraction.
They used these lanterns as a symbol of citizens to inform their families they are safe and sound. But now this festival is carrying people’s hopes and hopes for a new year in the night sky.
Some Key Facts About the Pingxi Sky Lantern Festival, Taiwan:
- Tradition says that people invented “Sky Lantern” during the Three Kingdoms (AD 220-265) by Zhuge Liang. It was originally used to convey military information.
- At the beginning of the 19th century the Lantern Festival was brought to Taiwan, where each year, at the beginning of the spring planting season, people were releasing “Sky Lantern” in the air as the following year’s prayer.
- Many Taiwanese people believe in putting out a customized lamp in their ambitions to start the new year on high.
- Sky Lantern is popular with people who want to be blessed for a variety of reasons, including students who want good marks, lovers hoping for a happy ending, and employees who are looking to succeed at work. Even married couples have a desire to have children.
- Discovery Channel voted the Pingxi Sky Lantern Festival as the second biggest New Year’s Eve celebration in the world.
- In 2016, National Geographic praised the Pingxi Sky Lantern Festival as part of a world-leading winter trip.
- The people of Taiwan believe that each prayer has its own color. So they make colorful lanterns.
Taiwan may be a small country in Southeast Asia, but it has no shortage of amazing sights for travelers to explore and experience! The Pingxi Sky Lantern Festival is a unique festival in Taiwan that is marked by the release of thousands of skylights. Many locals and tourists like to come to Taiwan to see the festival every February.
What is the History of the Pingxi Sky Lantern Festival, Taiwan?
The history of the Pingxi Sky Lantern Festival goes back centuries. During the Qing Empire, remote villages were difficult to control and protect. For safety, the villagers sometimes hid in the mountains after winter, after completing their last harvest to avoid looters and thieves. After winter, men (who have been living in the village) would flow sky lanterns in the sky to show that the place is now safer for others. So, people could return. This practice eventually became the lantern festival today.
In the 1980s, as the event ceased to be popular, the Taiwan Tourism Bureau gathered all the light in one place to create awareness for the festival – and to increase the event’s stature and tourism. Such is the case with today’s Pingxi Sky Lantern Festival.
When is the Pingxi Sky Lantern Festival, Taiwan?
It is the night of the first full moon of the lunar year when Taiwanese people come out to celebrate the world-famous Lantern festival. Every year they celebrate this festival on the first of February. This year, they held the Pingxi Sky Lantern Festival on 8 February 2020 in Taipei, Taiwan. The Pingxi Lantern festival takes place once a year in Shifen, Taipei. People gather to write their dreams and their yearly wishes at events and let it go to the sky.In 2021 the official date of the festival is 26 February on which night most lanterns will be released.In 2022, they expect it that the Pingxi Sky Lantern festival will take place on February 13.
The main event occurs in the evening. It starts at 6.30 pm and ends at 9.30 pm.
Best Place to Celebrate Pingxi Sky Lantern Festival, Taiwan?
Not everywhere in Taiwan are people allowed to fly their lanterns. They only allow it in the Pingxi district. With villages surrounded by lofty mountains, the lights will not be too far away.
The Pingxi Lantern festival takes place in Pingxi District, New Taipei City. Pingxi is a district, but there is also a city called Pingxi within the district. The entire district has many small towns, all along the same train line. They release the lantern in the cities of Jingtong, Pingxi and Shifen. But the major event takes place in Shifen.
Other Places to Visit During Pingxi Sky Lantern Festival, Taiwan:
- Shifen Waterfall: Shifen is best known for the Shifen Waterfall, a 40-foot-high waterfall that forms the rainbow as it flows through the lake, considered being the most beautiful place in all of Taiwan.
- Houtong Cat Village: Houtong is a town on the same line as Shifen. The town is known for its cats. It’s all cat-themed in Houtong and you’ll find many cats in town.
- Shifen Old Street: Don’t miss Shifen Old Street when you visit Shifen. The street has everything you need, from excellent coffee to street art, souvenir shops and lamps and much more.
- Taiwan Coal Mine Museum.
- Yen Jing Dong Waterfall.
- Wufen Mountain.
Essential Tips to Help You Enjoy the Pingxi Sky Lantern Festival, Taiwan:
- Instead of staying in Pingxi province, make the day trip from Taipei as the city offers alternative accommodation. Depending on traffic and weather, a mountain climbing trip to Pingxi can take several hours.
- Bring a camera. Even if you are not a professional photographer, bring a camera to capture the beautiful sky with lanterns.
- Make a to-do list before coming to Pingxi.
- Pingxi Sky Lantern Festival is a local favorite, so be prepared for crowds, especially on weekends. As soon as you explore this area, leave Pingxi or you will be stuck in immense crowds and traffic as everyone exits at the same time.
- Try to visit all the beautiful places in one day.
- Don’t forget to write your wishes to the lanterns!
Safety Concerns During the Pingxi Sky Lantern Festival, Taiwan:
- Wear covered walking shoes to protect your feet from crowded places and traverse uneven terrain in certain areas of the city.
- On a winter night and especially when it is raining, the outside temperatures can fall abruptly, so take a wet coat, scarf, gloves and an umbrella used.
- Stay away from food and beverages sold by street vendors if you do not have a strong stomach.
- Try to buy the eco-friendly lanterns. Otherwise, the flame can pollute the environment.
- Bring a good quality headlamp with you for dark spots or take a stroll in dim light.
Pingxi Lantern Festival is the first eco-friendly lantern festival in the world. This festival attracts its visitors with its colorful sky lanterns. The locals believe that this lantern will bring them good luck. So, if you want to plan a one-day tour of the Pingxi District, then try to make your planning during this festival.
Frequently Asked Questions About the Pingxi Sky Lantern Festival, Taiwan:
Q. Where can you stay near the Pingxi Sky Lantern Festival in Taiwan?
Answer: Because the Pingxi Lantern Festival is popular every year, many guests go to the Lantern festival to enjoy. There are many hotels throughout the Shifen. Chien Ching B&B II, Her Wan B&B, Keebe Hotel, Evergreen Laurel Hotel, etc. are the most popular.
Q. How to get to the Shifen and Pingxi Lantern Festival, Taiwan?
Answer: There are many ways to get to Shifen and the Lantern Festival. If you want to travel by public transport, there are two options: by train or by bus. On the day of the festival, there are commuter buses that run back and forth between Taipei Zoo and Shifen all day. For 50 TWD ($ 1,60 / € 1,40) you can buy a round-trip ticket at Taipei Zoo. They will charge you when you return.
Q. Are the Taiwan Lantern Festival and the Pingxi Sky Lantern festival the same?
Answer: No, these are two different festivals. However, these festivals take place at the same time of the year, the Pingxi Sky Lantern Festival is about lights in the sky, the Taiwan Lantern Festival is about the lights on the ground.
Q. How to join the Pingxi Lantern festival, Taiwan?
Answer: The Pingxi Sky Lantern Festival is free! If you want to participate in the team’s lantern release, you need to sign up (early, be there by 10 AM or earlier). Free to take part in lantern group releases and registration opens at 10 AM near the primary entrance. You will be given a free lantern too! It is not possible to release your lantern from the main square, even though you may release them elsewhere in Shifen.
Q. When is the Pingxi Sky Lantern Festival in 2022?
Answer: In 2022, they expect it that the Pingxi Sky Lantern festival will take place on February 13.