The local name of Josep Tarradellas Barcelona–El Prat Airport is El Prat Airport. It is the major airport of Barcelona. This international airport is situated 12 km south-east to the city center.
Barcelona International airport is the 2nd largest airport of Spain. It can handle up to 40 million air passengers per year.
Chengdu Barcelona–El Prat Airport, Spain Overview:
The Barcelona Airport is the nearest airport to the city center. There are several transportation services to get to the city like taxi, motor, bus and train.
This airport has two terminals, terminal 1 (T1) and terminal 2 (T2). T2 is divided into three sections (T2A, T2B and T2C). The airport has 3 take-off and landing zone.
The Barcelona–El Prat Airport operates 89 airlines and 70% of them are very low-cost airlines. It is one of the most low-cost air services of Europe. This airport has airlines directly connected with the United States, Middle East, South Africa, Canada, Asia.
The environment of Barcelona International Airport is so calm and pleasant for the passengers. This airport tries to reduce public information announcement through a loudspeaker. That’s why people call it ‘The Silent Airport’.
It has all the modern aeronautical facilities. It has many shops and restaurants. You can also find ATMs there.
Background of Barcelona–El Prat Airport, Spain:
The first runway was built in 1948. The second runway was constructed in between 1948-1952. After that construction of a new passenger terminal and a taxiway took place.
In 1976, this airport introduced an air-shuttle service and a cargo terminal. From late 70s to 1992 summer Olympics, concern authority suspended all kinds of traffic and investment.
The Barcelona–El Prat Airport authority built a new control tower, in 1992 but in 2006, another one replaced it. Terminal 1 is the latest terminal of this airport and it was inaugurated on 16 June 2009.
In 2018, this airport carried 50.2 million passengers which ranked it sixth with the most passenger traffic in Europe.
Operational Airlines List of Barcelona–El Prat Airport, Spain:
Barcelona El Prat airport is served by the following airlines:
- Terminal 1: Aegean Airlines • Aeroflot • Aeromexico • Air Algerie • Air Baltic • Air Canada • Air China • Air Europa • Air France • Air Nostrum • Alitalia • American Airlines • Arkia Israeli Airlines • Asiana Airlines • Avianca • BA Cityflyer • British Airways • Brussels Airlines • Cathay Pacific • Croatia Airlines • Czech Airlines • Delta Air Lines • EgyptAir • El Al Israel Airlines • Emirates • Etihad Airlines • Finnair • Iberia • KLM • Korean Air • LATAM • LEVEL • LOT • Lufthansa • Qatar Airways • Rossiya Airlines • Royal Air Maroc • Royal Flight • Royal Jordanian • SAS • Singapore Airlines • Swiss • S7 Airlines • TAP Portugal • Tarom • Transavia • Tunisair • Turkish Airlines • Ukraine International Airlines • United Airlines • Vueling.
- Terminal 2: Aer Lingus • Air Arabia Maroc • Air Armenia • Air Serbia • Air Transat • Azur Air • Belavia • Blue Air • Blue Bird • Bulgaria Air • easyJet • Enter Air • Eurowings • Evelop • Georgian Airways • Jet2 • Laudamotion • Luxair • Mahan Air • Nesma Airlines • Nile Air • Norwegian • PIA Airlines • Pegasus Airlines • Qatar Airways • Rossiya Airlines • Ryanair • SkyUp Airlines • SmartWings • Sundair • Transavia • Ural Airlines • Wizz Air.
Barcelona–El Prat Airport, Spain Lounges:
Sala CIP Canudas Location: Terminal 2, Airside, B Gates, opposite Gates 30-39.
Sala Joan Miro Location: Terminal 1, Airside, towards Gates D. Non-Schengen flights only.
Sala Pau Casals Location: Terminal 1, Airside. Schengen and Domestic flights only.
Sala VIP Colomer Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Barcelona – Madrid Shuttle Area.
More Services, Facilities & Things to do on a Layover at the Airport:
- Post Office – Have postcards to send to your friends and family? Post boxes are available in both terminals. Locations: T1, Floor 3 • T2B, Floor 0.
- Children’s Play Area – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their energy before their flight, take them to a children’s play area. Locations: Terminal 1 (P3 and P1) • Terminal 2 (P1, Gate Y).
- Security Lanes for Families – If you are travelling with children, you can take advantage of the security lanes that have been designated for families. Locations: Terminal 1, Floor 3, South • Terminal 1, Floor 3, North • Terminal 2, Floor 1.
- Strollers – Make getting around the airport with your child much easier, thanks to the airport’s luggage trolleys which are equipped with child seats. These trolley must be requested at the Information Desks. Locations: T1, P1, Sky Center • T2, P1, Boarding Area S.
Food & Drinks
- Drinking Water – Thirsty? Drinking fountains are available throughout the airport landside and airside in both terminals.
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours:
- Terminal 1, Landside: Caffe di Fiore (Arrivals, 1st Floor) • La Tramoia (Arrivals, 1st Floor) • Lizarran (Arrivals,1st Floor).
- Terminal 1, Airside: Caffe di Fiore (Boarding Area C, 1st Floor) • Coffee Republic (Shopping Center, 1st Floor) • Santamaria (Shopping Center, 1st Floor).
- Terminal 2, Landside: Caffe di Fiore (Arrivals, Floor 0) • Pans & Company (Departure Area, 2nd Floor).
- Information Desks – Have any questions? Located throughout the airport terminals. Terminal 1: two landside and five airside • Terminal 2: two landside and three airside. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Enjoy a hands-free layover by storing your luggage in the Left Luggage Office. Rates are from €6 – €9 per bag or item, depending on size, for the first two hours, then €10 – €15 per bag or item per 24-hour period after that. Discounts are given for multiple bags/items stored per transaction, and for any item or bag stored for eight days or more. Locations: T1, Ground Floor (24 hour location) • T2B, landside, Check-In Hall, Ground Floor. (Hours: 6:00AM – 10:00PM).
- Luggage Trolleys – Need a hand with your bags? Regular baggage carts are available free of charge in the parking lots, check-in, arrivals and departures areas. For the luggage trolleys equipped with Maxi-Cosi child seats, visit the Information Desk.
- Luggage Wrapping – Protect your bags from theft and damage by having your bags wrapped in plastic. SecureBag luggage wrapping services are available in T1, landside, Check-In Hall, 3rd Floor • T2B, landside, Check-In Hall, Ground Floor. Rates and hours unknown.
- Pharmacy – Farmacia Locations: T1, landside, Departures 3rd Floor. Hours: 6:00AM – 9:30PM • T2, landside, Departures Ground Floor (Floor 0). Hours: 9:00AM – 8:30PM.
- Mobile Phone Charging – There are 12 mobile phone charging units distributed throughout the two terminals. Each unit has 6 lockers that can hold mobile phones and mp3 players. Locations: T1 food court • T1, Sky Center • Terminal 2 between module 1 and 3. Additionally, the airport has 10 work stations available in both terminals which are equipped with plugs for all your devices.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside and Airside areas of Terminals 1 and 2.
- Banking Services – CaixaBank offers full-service banking and currency exchange in the airport. Locations: T1, 1st Floor in La Plaza (Hours: 7:30AM – 10:00PM daily, year-round) • T2B, Arrivals Hall, Ground Floor (Hours: 7:30AM – 8:30PM daily, year-round).
- Currency Exchange – Global Exchange Locations: T1, landside, Check-In Hall, 3rd Floor • T1, airside, 3rd Floor, Boarding Area D (non-Schengen) • T1, airside, 1st Floor, Sky Center (Schengen) • T1, landside, 1st Floor, Baggage Claim Hall • T2A, landside, Floor 0, Arrivals Hall • T2B, landside, Ground Floor, Baggage Claim Hall • T2C, landside, Ground Floor, Forecourt • T2, airside, 1st Floor, Boarding Areas U-W.
- Chapel & Prayer Room – A Christian chapel and an interfaith chapel are available at the airport. Location: T1, landside, La Plaza, 1st Floor (both chapels are next to each other). Hours: 6:00AM – 10:30PM.
Rest & Relaxation
- Rest Zones – There are no dedicated sleeping areas, quiet areas or rest zones.
- Police & Security– Available 24 hours per day. Locations: Terminal 1, Floor 3, Ticketing • Terminal 2A, Floor 0, Arrivals Hall.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Duty-free shopping is available in the boarding areas of Terminals 1 and 2. A wide variety of retail shops are available throughout the airport.
- VAT Refund – All foreigners or Spanish citizens not residing in Spain or in a European Union country who are travelling to a third country are entitled to a Value Added Tax (VAT) refund on their purchases in Spain. To do this, after stamping Tax Free cheques at Customs, passengers must go to one of the banks where they can receive their VAT refund. There are A few Guardia Civil locations: Terminal 1, floor 3, Ticketing Level • Terminal 2B, Floor 0, Arrivals Level. Hours: open 24 hours.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Hairdresser – Hairdressing and hair removal are services available in certain Aqua Spa locations. Locations: Locations: T1, airside, Departures 1st Floor • T1, airside, 2nd Floor, west side • T2, airside, 1st Floor.
- Showers – Showers are available in the Air Rooms. Location: Terminal 1, landside, 1st Floor. Rate: €20 for a 30-minute shower, including a toiletries kit. Breakfast is available for €6, and WiFi is also available for a fee. Showers are also available in a few of the lounges.
- Spa & Salon Services – Express spa services are available at Aqua Salon Spa. Locations: T1, airside, Departures 1st Floor, one location each in Schengen and Non-Schengen areas • T1, airside, Departures 3rd Floor, Boarding Area D • T2, airside, Departures 1st Floor, Boarding Area U.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From the Airport:
The following car rental companies have offices onsite in both Terminals: Avis/Budget • Enterprise • Europcar • Firefly • Goldcar/InterRent • Hertz/Thrifty • Sixt.
Bus transportation is available from terminals 1 and 2 and connect travelers to the center of Barcelona and nearby towns, such as Catalonia and Andorra. For more details visit the Aerobus web site.
From Terminal 1 or 2, the Aerobus A1 and Aerobus A2 travels 35 minutes to the city center with strategic stops along the way. From Terminal 1 and 2, Line 46 connects to the plaza de España de Barcelona through El Prat de Llobregat and L’Hospitalet de Llobregat.
Several hotels near Barcelona Airport offer shuttle service: Barcelona Airport Hotel • Best Western Alfa Aeropuerto • FrontAir Congress • Hotel Fira Congress • Salles Hotel Ciutat del Prat • Tryp Barcelona Aeropuerto.
L9 Sud metro line connects the airport (with stops at both terminals) to Zona Universitària, stopping at Fira, Parc Logístic and Mercabarna.
A commuter train is also available that services areas between the airport, Barcelona and various parts of Catalonia, such as El Prat de Llobregat, Granollers. The estimated travel time is 27 minutes to Passeig de Gràcia, with El Prat de Llobregat only 6 minutes away. The North Line R2 arrives departs every 30 minutes.
Taxi service is available opposite terminal T1, Barcelona-Madrid Corridor, and terminals T2 A and T2 B arrivals areas.
Information Summery of Barcelona–El Prat Airport, Spain:
Address: 08820 El Prat de Llobregat, Barcelona, Spain
Elevation: 3.8 m
Phone: +34 913 21 10 00
El Prat Airport is the busiest airport of Barcelona. About 7 million tourists visit Barcelona every year.
This airport and its proximity with the city center facilitate the tourists in several ways. It occupied the 43rd position of the Best Airports of the World in the year 2019.