Madrid Barajas Airport has alocal name in the region – Adolfo Suárez Madrid–Barajas Airport. It is the main air communication hub in Madrid. In terms of serving passengers, the airport is one the busiest ones in Europe.
The airport is connected with the city in several ways. It is also the link between Latin America with Europe.
Madrid Barajas Airport, Spain Overview:
Starting operation in 1928, the airport is still serving the nation. It is one the leading aviation center in Madrid. The airport location is 13 kilometers away from the city of Madrid. And the name is from the other adjacent city – Barjas.
Barjas has its establishments. Including metro station of the same name.
The number of passengers and cargo services is smart. People fly from different local and international destinations from this airport.
However, the safety and security of the airport is up to the mark. Even, you will have a hospital adjacent to the airport. For emergency medical care. Though the airport has its own medical facilities.
Ground transport is easier here. The passengers will have taxi services in the arrival area. The official taxi in the country is from red and white stripe. Also, the Madrid Metro Line is connected with the airport. It makes communication from and to the city smooth.
Background/History of Madrid Barajas Airport, Spain:
The construction of Madrid Barajas Airport took place in 1927. And the official journey of the airport began in 1931. But the regular commercial operation took more two years to initiate.
During the construction, the size of the airport was a bit smaller. It was for around 30,000 passengers. In a year.
Gradually, the airport received terminals and hangers. The airport started serving passengers of the European and some African nations.
The first runway of the airport was 1,400 meters in lengths. And it was 45 meters in width. With time, the airport started getting into a busy one. And by 1950s, there were five runways.
Operational Airlines List of Madrid Barajas Airport, Spain:
Madrid Barajas Airport is Served by the Following Airlines:
- Terminal 1: Aeroflot • Aerolíneas Argentinas Aeroméxico Air Arabia Air Canada • Air China • Air Europa • Air India • Air Serbia • Air Transat • Almasria Universal Airlines • Beijing Capital Airlines • Blue Air • China Eastern • Cubana Airlines • Delta • Easyjet • EgyptAir • Enter Air • Estelar Aerolíneas • Ethiopian Airlines • Etihad Airways • Fly Egypt • Hainan Airlines • Korean Air • Laudamotion • Middle East Airlines • Nesma Airlines • Nile Air • Pegasus Airlines • Privilege Style • Ryanair • Saudia • TAROM • TunisAir • Turkish Airlines • United • Wamos Air • Wizz Air.
- Terminal 2: Aegean Airlines • Air Europa • Air France • Alitalia • Brussels Airlines • KLM • LOT • Lufthansa • Norwegian Air • Privilege Style • Swiss • TAP Portugal • Transavia • TUIFly Belgium • Volotea
- Terminal 4: Aer Lingus • Air Algerie • Air Baltic • Air Nostrum • American Airlines • Avianca • Boliviana de Aviación • British Airways • Bulgaria Air • Cathay Pacific • Ceiba Intercontinental • Czech Airlines • El-Al Israel Airlines • Emirates • Evelop • Finnair • Iberia • LATAM • Luxair • Plus Ultra • Qatar Airways • Royal Air Maroc • Royal Jordanian Airlines • UIA • Vueling Airlines.
Madrid Barajas Airport, Spain Lounges:
Neptuno Lounge Location: Terminal 4, Satellite, Airside, Non-Schegen area, 2nd Floor.
Plaza Mayor Location: Terminal 4, Airside, 1st Floor.
Premium Traveller Arrivals Lounge Location: Terminal 4,Landside, Arrivals Hall, Level 1.
Sala Puerta de Alcala Location: Terminal 2, Airside, near Gate D62.
Sala VIP Cibeles Location: Terminal 1, Airside, P2, non-Schengen flights, between Gates B26 and 29.
Sala VIP Puerta Del Sol Location: Terminal 3, Airside, P2, domestic & Schengen flights, near Gate E69.
More Services, Facilities & Things to do on a Layover at the Airport:
- Business Centre – A variety of different sized Business centers/Meeting rooms are available at the airport. Locations: Terminal 1 • (5) Terminal 2 • (4) Terminal 4.
- Printing / Fax – Need to send an outgoing fax, or print important documents? The airport’s post office can assist. Rates: unknown. [ See Postal Services below ].
- Work Areas – If you are looking for a quiet area to get your work done, the airport offers passengers work areas which are desks equipped with charging points for all your devices. Locations: Terminal 4, Ground Floor & Level 1 • Terminal 4S, Airside, Level 1.
- Postal Services – Drop off your last minute postcards at the airport’s mailboxes available landside in T1, T2 and T4. A post office, which also offers fax and printing services, is located in T1, Arrivals Hall, Floor 0. Hours: 8:30AM – 2:30PM (Mon-Fri) • 9:30AM – 1:00PM (Sat) • Closed (Sun).
- Baby Care Facilities
- Changing table, microwave, cot, play area (for kids up to 6 years old), comfortable seating and more are available in the Breastfeeding Lounge. Locations: T2, airside, Boarding Area D, 1st Floor • T4, airside, Boarding Area, 1st Floor. Hours for both locations: 8:00AM – 8:00PM.
- Strollers are available for use in the airport, free of charge, in the boarding area of all terminals. Some luggage trolleys are retrofitted with infant carriers for babies up to 6 months. They are available for use at all terminals, free of charge.
- Children’s Play Areas – There is a playground located in Terminal 2, airside, Boarding Area. Additionally, you will find close to 20 play areas throughout the terminals.
Food & Drinks:
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours:
- Terminal 1 – Mahoudrid (Arrivals, landside, Level 0).
- Terminal 2 – Espression Lavazza (Departures, landside, Level 2).
- Terminal 4 – Eating Point (Departures, airside, Level 1, Boarding Area J) • Mahoudrid (Arrivals, landside, Level 0) • McDonald’s (Departures, landside, Level 2 and Departures, airside, Level 1, Boarding Area J).
- Terminal 4S – Barilla Express Airport (Airside, Level 1, Departures, Boarding Area S)
- Throughout the airport – There are 250 vending machines located in all terminals on all floors. Machines offer hot and cold beverages and at some locations, an assortment of sandwiches and snacks.
- Information Desks – There is no shortage of information points available at the airport. Virtual hostesses can be found in every Terminal near check-in/boarding areas. In addition, Skycap Teams are available at 18 different locations throughout the Terminals, most of which are open 24 hours.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – If you want to relieve yourself from the burden of heavy baggage, luggage can be stored at the Left Luggage Office at the following rates: €6 per bag/item for up to 2 hours • €10 per bag/item for up to 24 hours or per 24-hour period. Rates are higher for oversized luggage and discounts apply for longer storage terms. Locations: T1, Ground Floor, landscaped area in front of Hall 2 (Hours: 24 hours) • T2, 1st Floor, Landside (Hours: 5:00PM – 10:00PM) • T4, Arrivals Hall, Ground Floor (Hours: 24 hours).
- Luggage Trolleys – Need a hand with your bags? Luggage carts are available outside throughout the airport. Fee: unknown.
- Luggage Wrapping – Protect your bags from theft and damage by having your bags wrapped in plastic by Secure Bag and Bag. Services available at 15 locations throughout Terminals 1, 2 and 4. Hours and rates are not known.
- Medical Service – If you feel unwell or injure yourself, medical centers are available. Locations: T2, Arrivals Hall, Floor 0 (Hours: Open 24 hours) • T4, Arrivals Hall, Floor 0 (Hours: Open 24 hours) • T4S, airside, Boarding Area M, Ground Floor (Hours: 7:00AM – 11:00PM).
- Pharmacy – Farmacia has four locations: T1, landside, Departures, Floor 0 (Hours: 7:00AM – 11:00PM) • T2, landside, Departures, 2nd Floor (Hours: 7:00AM – 9:30PM) • T4, airside, Departures, 1st Floor (Hours: 7:00AM – 10:30PM) • T4, landside, Departures, 2nd Floor & T4, airside, Departures, 1st Floor (Hours: 7:00AM – 11:00PM).
- Mobile Charging – The airport has work desks with outlets for charging your devices. Locations: T4, Boarding Areas • T4S • T4, Baggage Claim. A reader reports that the Mahoudrid coffee shop (T1) also has plenty of power outlets.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside and Airside in all Terminals except T3, which only offers an Airside ATM.
- Banking Services – Bankia provides full banking services. Locations: T4, Floor 2, Check-in area. • T2, Floor 2, Departures. Hours for both locations: 8:15AM – 2:15PM (Thursdays until 7:15PM during high season).
- Currency Exchange – Currency exchange offices throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These are open 24 hours: Exact Change (T1, Baggage Reclaim Hall 1) • Global Exchange (T4, landside, Check-In, 2nd Floor • T4S, airside, Boarding Area, 1st Floor).
- Prayer Spaces – Barajas airport has a few spaces for religious services and prayer which are open daily between the hours of 6:00AM – 10:30PM:
- Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe Chapel – Mass at 11:00AM on Sundays and holidays. Location: T1, landside, 2nd Floor.
- Nuestra Señora de Loreto Chapel – Mass at 11:00AM (Mon, Wed, Thurs) and 7:00PM (Sat and eve of holidays). Location: T2, landside, 1st Floor.
- Chapel of Santiago – Mass at 11:00AM (Mon, Wed, Thurs) and 1:00PM (Sun and eve of holidays). Location: T4, landside, Departures, 2nd Floor.
- Mosque – Location: T1, landside, 2nd Floor • T4, landside, Departures, 2nd Floor.
- Oratory – Location: T1, landside, 2nd Floor • T4, landside, Departures, 2nd Floor.
Rest & Relaxation:
- Rest Zones – Terminal 4S has a few rest areas. A reader tells us “There are two nice rest areas past gate 17, overlooking the flight control tower. They have padded reclined chairs with lamps, to outlets and 2 USB ports and are surrounded with a low barrier from traffic in the terminal. Two islands containing 6 seats each give 12 travelers a comfortable place to hang out for a bit.” Another reader says there are “Great padded recliners and long padded bench with no armrest in T4S near gates S34 and S35.” (October 2019)
- Duty Free & Shopping – Duty-free shopping is available throughout all terminals, along with a wide variety of retail shops. The Market (T4, Landside) may come in handy for snack and drink needs. Hours: 6:00AM – 12:00AM.
Showers, Salon & Spa:
- Showers – Showers are available in the Air Rooms. Location: Terminal 4, Floor 1. Rate: starting at 45.00 € includes a 30 minute shower and access to the VIP Lounge (Free WiFi and Free Breakfast or snacks).
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From the Airport:
Several bus lines run from the airport to central Madrid, nearby locations and the rest of Spain. Estimated travel time to Atocha-Renfe is 40 minutes. Bus options include intercity buses, city buses, and long distance coaches.
The following car rental companies are available at Barajas Airport: Avis/Budget • Europcar/Interrent • Hertz/Firefly • Enterprise • Goldcar/InterRent • Sixt. Locations: Car Rental counters are located in Terminal 1 (Floor 0) and Terminal 4 (Floor -1).
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Hereare a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Axor Barajas Hotel • Axor Feria Hotel • Best Western Hotel Villa de Barajas • Clement Barajas Hotel • Hilton Madrid Airport • Hotel Nuevo Boston • Ibis Madrid Aeropuerto Barajas • Madrid Marriott Auditorium Hotel & Conference Center • Maydrit Hotel • Melia Barajas • NH Barajas • taCH Hotel • SHS Hotel Aeropuerto • TRYP Madrid Alameda Aeropuerto Hotel. You should contact each hotel directly for shuttle details, hours and rates (if applicable).
Do you need to transfer terminals or get to your car at the parking lot? The airport has a variety of options for you. Shuttle buses and the Automatic People Mover train will get you where you need to go. For schedule information, visit the Madrid Barajas Airport website.
From Terminal T4, Line C1 of Renfe Cercanias connects travelers directly from the airport to key locations throughout Madrid. Travel time from the airport to the Chamartin is approximately 11 minutes. You can purchase tickets at the ticket counter or machines at the train stations.
Taxis can be found outside the arrivals area of all terminals. It is advised to only take rides in official taxis, which are white with a red stripe and the coat-of-arms of Madrid City Council on the doors.
The underground Metro Line 8 runs from all airport terminals to the Nuevos Ministerios station in central Madrid. Travel time to the city center should take approximately 12 to 15 minutes.
Address: Av de la Hispanidad, s/n, 28042 Madrid, Spain
Elevation: 610 m
Province: Community of Madrid
Phone: +34 913 21 10 00
At present, Madrid Barajas Airport is a top-class airport. Even in 1970s, large jet planes also landed here. The airport has some extensions than the plans by these days.
Tourism in Madrid boomed in the 70s and since then, it is playing the lead role. Also, the FIFA World Cup of 1982 brought some recognitions for this airport.